• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking to buy a 2021 2430 Vortex

jacobsed

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Are there any differences between the VR and VRX besides what I see for options when building on the website? I don’t see anything I can’t get with options on the VR that is standard on the VRX. And the VR is a little cheaper when I build the boats the same way. Thanks in advance.

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Same interior materials. VRX has the extended list of exterior colors, graphics and the black hull option. VRX gives more options to choose from (medallion screen option, upgraded head option, etc)

I noticed that too. If i build a VR & VRX exactly the same way, the VRX ends up about $3k or so higher.

I sent an email to a local dealer to see if they had an actual list comparing the standards/differences on both and here was the reply:

“Both the VR and VRX are built the same. Same construction, same vinyls. The main difference between the VR and VRX is that the VRX has more standard equipment. Obviously graphics and tower. But it also has a black hull bottom. There are a lot more colors and options available to the VRX line. Things like the touch screen, steering wheel controls, etc”

So if you don’t care about some of the bells and whistles, the VR is the better value imho.

jacobsed

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply Enduro. I was thinking the same that the VR was a better buy if I didn't want some of the bells and whistles. Which brings me to my next question. Which bells and whistles are truly worth getting? Does the VR come with a digital display but it just isn't a touch screen?

Jet1733

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thanks for the reply Enduro. I was thinking the same that the VR was a better buy if I didn't want some of the bells and whistles. Which brings me to my next question. Which bells and whistles are truly worth getting? Does the VR come with a digital display but it just isn't a touch screen?
Are you able to build it online? I always had trouble with the vortex website when I tried to build a boat on my phone. When I went to the site from a desk top it allowed me to see all of the options. I just bought them a 2021 VRX and love it. As stated the VR is the same platform so if you go that route the boat will be the same for the most part. Cosmetics seem to change and a tower is added on the VRX. I opted out of the medallion touch screen and went with the standard gauges.

jacobsed

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Are you able to build it online? I always had trouble with the vortex website when I tried to build a boat on my phone. When I went to the site from a desk top it allowed me to see all of the options. I just bought them a 2021 VRX and love it. As stated the VR is the same platform so if you go that route the boat will be the same for the most part. Cosmetics seem to change and a tower is added on the VRX. I opted out of the medallion touch screen and went with the standard gauges.
Yes I can build it online from my desktop computer. Is the digital screen standard but the Mecallion touch screen the upgrade? That part confuses me.

Jet1733

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes I can build it online from my desktop computer. Is the digital screen standard but the Mecallion touch screen the upgrade? That part confuses me.
Yeah. I have the base model gauge if that’s what you want to call it. It is a digital display of numbers and info but there are no ICONs or anything that would show up on a smart phone or tablet. It has everything you need information wise plus there are analog gauges too. So if you have the screen on depth you can look at the analog speedometer. There are also “mode” buttons that will allow you to set ski speeds, a docking mode, cruising mode and economy mode. I came from a boat that had a Speedometer a tachometer and fuel gauge so this is information overload for me. LOL.

The pic is a screen shot from a video so it’s not perfect but you get an idea what it looks like. B47C8999-E561-46D3-82FB-1D49D401E8AA.jpeg

Last edited:

jacobsed

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Yeah. I have the base model gauge if that’s what you want to call it. It is a digital display of numbers and info but there are no ICONs or anything that would show up on a smart phone or tablet. It has everything you need information wise plus there are analog gauges too. So if you have the screen on depth you can look at the analog speedometer. There are also “mode” buttons that will allow you to set ski speeds, a docking mode, cruising mode and economy mode. I came from a boat that had a Speedometer a tachometer and fuel gauge so this is information overload for me. LOL.

The pic is a screen shot from a video so it’s not perfect but you get an idea what it looks like. View attachment 132778
That helps a lot! So are there any features missing with the basic setup vs having the medallion touch screen? No GPS I assume but anything else? Seems like a remember the salesman talking about presets for people riding boards and skiing?

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I was going to pull up a picture of the standard gauges but Jet1733 beat me to it :winkingthumbsup" .

Why doesn’t the vortex website show them ANYWHERE??? Actually Vortex, Yamaha and Scarab all have terrible websites, and you cannot even build a boat on the Vortex website if on apple products/Ipad (but you can build boats on the Chaparral website, which makes it even more frustrating).

I built a VR with the 600hp, ASP for wakeboarding, tower, basically all the available VR options except any stereo upgrades/the last thing we personally want when hanging out as a family is more noise, (even added the aluminum wheels/spare) and the cost was around $79k, or the same price as the new 252XE Wake, which doesn’t have the pump-out head option and has the standard 360hp. So in comparison the Vortex is a much better value, but I won’t make any decisions until I can see each boat side-side at the spring boat shows.

Btw, I did ask my local Vortex dealer if that NAP pricing was the best he can do (I told him I am also considering Yamaha and Scarab). He told me he can work with me on the price. I didn’t push him any further as I am not ready yet anyway but just wanted to give you an FYI

Jet1733

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
That helps a lot! So are there any features missing with the basic setup vs having the medallion touch screen? No GPS I assume but anything else? Seems like a remember the salesman talking about presets for people riding boards and skiing?
Correct. The ski presets are for pre-programmed throttle starts and speeds. Basically put it in Skimo the and throw the throttle forward and the computer adjust the speed and how fast to get there. The docking feature cuts the power by a certain percentage so you don’The docking feature cuts the power by a certain percentage Or something like that so you don’t give it too much gas. I’ve never really used that one. Check Your messages