• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Loose side rail on the bow already.

primedoc

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Anyone have any tips on how best to access this and tighten it up? Both sides are actually loose, port worse than starboard. Looks like I'll have to go under the bow seat cushions, stand on my head and use a 1 or 2 foot ratchet extension.

Thats exactly how I did it!

This happened with our boat too. We tightened it once. Then it came loose again. Then, I realized some Loctite was in order. After putting some Loctite on it, no more issues. Getting to the bolt is the hardest part.

Long extension and deep well socket. I had to get my youngest daughter to do one of the bolts on the port side.

The best tools to do this are as follows:
small girl preferably less than 12 years old with long arms
loc-tite
miller lite (do not give this to the girl, this is for boat owner directing the repair)

Are the small children covered under the boats warranty? If so, I might have a few defective ones. Mine don't seem to work without constant maintenance.

My boat came with two very small people to help me finish assembling it. I'd lend them to you, but they got bigger. :p

So it wasn't port side, it was starboard. So my small 12 year old daughter had to crawl behind the helm to reach the hand rail bolt. When she was 10 she sat inside the helm storage area and drilled some holes for me....sat inside! I got my fat self stuck trying to do it. She also pulled wire for me a couple of times.

In my case the bolt was too long for even a deep well socket once they got close to tight so I had to use a wrench to finish. I got maybe 1/8 of a turn each time I flipped the wrench around in that tiny space. Standing on my head I could only get one eye on the bolt so depth perception was a problem. Also the fiberglass is very raw in there so plan on plenty of splinters! I was sweaty, bloody, cross-eyed and seriously pissed off by the time I was done. That wrench ended up about 200ft off shore. So good luck!

Depending on year model, you can reach some of these easier by just removing the bow speaker, and going in from there.

In my case the bolt was too long for even a deep well socket once they got close to tight so I had to use a wrench to finish. I got maybe 1/8 of a turn each time I flipped the wrench around in that tiny space. Standing on my head I could only get one eye on the bolt so depth perception was a problem. Also the fiberglass is very raw in there so plan on plenty of splinters! I was sweaty, bloody, cross-eyed and seriously pissed off by the time I was done. That wrench ended up about 200ft off shore. So good luck!

Those new Maxx Axcess Craftsman sockets work like a charm!
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-58pc...1x000001&kpid=00935430000&kispla=00935430000P

Also, when working around uncoated fiberglass always wear long sleeves and gloves. If you do get splinters or dust on your skin, rinse with the coldest water you can find. The cold water will close pores and help prevent the tiny glass fibers from burrowing into your skin and being a general pain in the ass for a few days.

Anyone have any tips on how best to access this and tighten it up? Both sides are actually loose, port worse than starboard. Looks like I'll have to go under the bow seat cushions, stand on my head and use a 1 or 2 foot ratchet extension.

Does it bother anyone else that this is occurring on a 2014? I understand not everything can be perfect, and I am willing to handle some minor issues, but this is completely unacceptable. As I get more intimately familiar with ours AR240HO I am noticing quite a few "fit and finish" things that are a bit concerning for a boat I just dropped $50K on. . . . I am going to start a thread on them when I get back near her with a camera.

Back