• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lowe 1448 tunnel hull modification?

grizzeze

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey All,
I have a Lowe 1448 modified V hull boat with a 25Hp Merc 2 stroke, and just picked up a Yamaha 40/30 outboard tiller steer jet for my build.

I am going to be building a new and reinforced transom for the boat to accommodate the larger motor and am considering doing a tunnel hull while I am at it.

I mainly fish fairly shallow rivers amd will be using the boat for hunting as well. I bought the jet as I am tired of getting out and pulling the boat upstream in the shallow water ( 10" or so) for distances while large jet boats fly by without issue.
Hunting we will need to pull the boat over logs, beaver dams etc and will be going through unknown rivers and I don't want to break the foot of the jet and or get stranded on a river up north.

Now that you know a little about my boat and my needs, wants, desires of the boat, I was thinking about getting my fabricator to tunnel the hull right away and build the transom a little higher to accommodate the tunnel. I do understand that the hull is thin, so I will need to be careful not to crack or rip open the hull on rocks etc

Does anyone have any experience with a small lightweight boat with a tunnel jet modification? Any issues?
Also looking at a urethane foot for the jet as they seem to be more durable.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would look at a boat that was built with a tunnel to see what will be needed for the modification. Dimensions and angles are needed to get it right and not starve the pump for water. You’re still going to put it at risk of picking up rocks and debris running in shallow water like you are planning.
If it were me I would think about selling the outboard you have and finding something more like what’s pictured below. It’ll make going through the shallows, beaver dams, logs and anything else much easier with lower risk of damage.
1704115590629.jpeg