• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lowering AR190 tower on the water?

AuburnVFR

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm currently looking around for a used SX190 and have a question if I can even consider an AR, since it seems there are more of them on the market. The main issue against considering the AR is that I need to be able to go under a low abandoned railroad trestle on the lake. Depending on water levels, I normally have to lean over while driving the in-laws pontoon, so I'm fairly certain a raised tower will not go under.

Is it practical to lower/raise the tower on the AR while on the water? Would the older or newer style tower be better in this regard? Is it possible to remove either tower and replace it with a regular Bimini without it looking like total crap?

FYI, I don't really have an interest in skiing or towing sports (other than an occasional tube) and the second captains chair seems more appealing to me than the bench layout, but I'm certainly not opposed to a good deal on an AR if I can navigate under the trestle with some level of practicality.

Thanks

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The newer towers easily fold to under windshield. Simply unscrew the two knobs and fold. Can be one with one person no problem, but way easier with a helper. Black knob shown here in this pic at back of tower.
Screenshot_20200513-075331_Gallery.jpg

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Newer towers have a bimini as well. Not as much coverage as a SX does though, but covers the cabin nicely. Bow and swim deck is full sun, and sometimes rear seat.
20200405_144828.jpg
20190921_125050.jpg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I fold mine on the water all the time. We have a "low bridge" to fit under that leads to some nice wakesports water (more glass, less chop).

Have to "stow" the bimini top, then have a helped grab the front of the tower, then unscrew the two black knobs. Proceed under bridge at slowest speed possible. Raise tower, secure black knobs, deploy bimini, and away we go. Takes about 5 minutes usually, maybe less.

You can see the bridge we go under in this video. It's in the distant background, but it's there. We usually clear the windshield by 6-8 inches or so. MUST have the tower cable mod to make it under.

AuburnVFR

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the info

any input about the older rear swept tower?

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
FYI, I don't really have an interest in skiing or towing sports (other than an occasional tube) and the second captains chair seems more appealing to me than the bench layout, but I'm certainly not opposed to a good deal on an AR if I can navigate under the trestle with some level of practicality.

Thanks
FYI, the tower is not designed for towing tubes, those should still be hooked up to the stern tie point. If you're going through a low bridge every outing, lowering and raising the tower twice a day might take away from the pleasure of boating real fast...

white2kstang

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The newer towers easily fold to under windshield. Simply unscrew the two knobs and fold. Can be one with one person no problem, but way easier with a helper. Black knob shown here in this pic at back of tower.
View attachment 118788
I'm interested in any tips you may have come across on lowering it by yourself. I'm scared to drop it and havent attempted it alone... but would be nice to be able to do it myself occasionally.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm interested in any tips you may have come across on lowering it by yourself. I'm scared to drop it and havent attempted it alone... but would be nice to be able to do it myself occasionally.
I lower mine myself all the time. Takes a bit of strength and dexterity

Undo one side of the tower. Go to the other side. While standing on the seat, hold onto the tower with one hand and lean back, like you're on the monkey bars. Use your other hand to loosen the last hand screw. Your body is the counterweight for the tower. Once you have the final screw out, use both hands and SLOWLY move your body towards the front of the boat. The tower will lower under it's own weight until it reaches the stops.

I can setup the GoPro and take a video if you want.

white2kstang

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Didnt think about standing on the seat. May have to try that. At least I have 240lbs of counter weight. Lol

1kennymc

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Didnt think about standing on the seat. May have to try that. At least I have 240lbs of counter weight. Lol
Be careful doing that you can break the seat i do it the long seat section first than i do the other side so i can stand safely on the floor and its easy enough to do didnt find it difficult at all