• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

LS2000 starter motor install issue

MNYBoat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Just got a new starter motor for my LS2000. I cannot get the damn thing to fully install. Seems like its getting stuck. The new one has two o rings and a slightly bigger nose. Could this part be incompatible? Seems like it should be good for an LS2000 from what I can see online. Do I just need to keep wiggling the thing around? I can't really get my mallet in to tap it.

Pic attached

Attachments

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Are you 100% positive you have the right starter? Last install of a starter I did on a Mercuriser 3.0, I remember two issues:
  1. It was hard AF to get that baby lined up correctly
  2. I ended up taking the starter to my grinding wheel just slightly on one of the casing edges to help with fit. Ground lightly, painted black, moved on with the install.

MNYBoat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Are you 100% positive you have the right starter? Last install of a starter I did on a Mercuriser 3.0, I remember two issues:
  1. It was hard AF to get that baby lined up correctly
  2. I ended up taking the starter to my grinding wheel just slightly on one of the casing edges to help with fit. Ground lightly, painted black, moved on with the install.
I don't see a part number or anything on the new one unit. The box (which was beat to hell) says PH100-YA02-R.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I mean, how did you arrive at the point of buying the new starter if you don't know the part # of the old one?

MNYBoat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
The part number from the website listing is correct, it just seems like either that part has a variation with a double o ring or the site has the wrong part per the listed oem part number.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The part number from the website listing is correct, it just seems like either that part has a variation with a double o ring or the site has the wrong part per the listed oem part number.
If the part numbers match, that's probably just the "new version" of that piece. You might want to call your nearest dealer to verify.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The two starters look different enough that I don’t see the new one working. FWIW I’ve had the cheapest eBay starter I could find in my boat working fine for three or four years. It was a near exact match to the OEM.

A1E4FDDE-7D05-4A43-BD94-5E1398FB4F92.jpeg

MNYBoat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Worked with my father in law and he was able to pry the new starter in. Same issue with the new starter though, it just spins and doesn't turn over the engine.
Gave it probably 5 or so more tries and then it turned over the engine and started up. Not sure what that could mean, Bendix issue? Just hoping it'll be consistent enough we can enjoy it a bit.