• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Maintenance Light/Power Issues

hbdrew14

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
19hrs on the boat and maintenance light still hasn't come on. Did an oil change on my own at 10hrs, planning to take it in for the 25hr scheduled maintenance.

Additionally, after reading everyone's comments on power, I still cannot get past 35mph and about 7krpm in perfect glass with only myself onboard. At 19hrs I should be getting 45mph and 8krpm min?

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated?

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@hbdrew14 Your computer might be stuck in Ski mode. Have you trued to reset the computer (set+mode for 6 seconds)? You can also try to disconnect the negative on the battery for about 10 seconds to see if it resets.

The maintenance light wont come on until your 25 hour mark. The 10 hour warranty maintenance has none.

hbdrew14

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Tried a reset after I was having issues with a piece of wood stuck in the impeller, but only put it in the water at the ramp to make sure what I removed worked. Haven't been able to open it up since sat evening.

Is there any indication when I try a reset, that it actually reset?

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yup! @ScarabMike is spot on again!! You should have 100% at 10 hours. No service light till 25...

hbdrew14

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks @ScarabMike , I'll make sure I try the reset and see what happens.

I get the same power with 3-4 onboard in chop as I did in glass by myself, hopefully that means its stuck in ski mode.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Im going to try to make a video sometime this week explaining the sweep, and reset. Keep an eye out.

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
That would be great, I tried to reset mine on the weekend and it didn't work. I tried various key positions, etc, still nothing. Having a video would be great.

hbdrew14

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Tried both a reset and battery negative cable disconnect, both did not work. The battery disconnect seemed to do something temporarly, and got me up to 38 mph. While at full throttle, speedo went from 38mph to omph and back to 35mph and maintained 35mph. Noticed rpm kick to 8200 at starting speed then backed off to normal then maitained 7240rpm. Any other suggestions or instructions for reset of ECU? Definitely seems like it is governing it self to 35mph, such as stuck in ski mode as suggested. Taking it into a mechanic for the 25hr on Tuesday, hopefully they have some ideas too.

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My boat does a very similar thing, wont really go past 40mph. Just keep in mind, even though some people have gotten theirs up to 45. The boat was tested and the highest speed they went was 42mph with a half tank of gas

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Id love to get it up to 45, some days she wont go past 35 some days itll go 40

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
@hbdrew14 Your computer might be stuck in Ski mode. Have you trued to reset the computer (set+mode for 6 seconds)? You can also try to disconnect the negative on the battery for about 10 seconds to see if it resets.

The maintenance light wont come on until your 25 hour mark. The 10 hour warranty maintenance has none.
@ScarabMike

what does the 25 hour maintenance light say? My engines (chaparral) were at the 24 hour mark last weekend. On my screen, I noticed a yellow flashing ! so I checked the defect codes. There was a note listed that said Port Engine Maintenance Required. I took the boat in for its check up right after that. called today and the dealer tells me they got everything complete, but they aren't sure why the boat has that message. The actual service guy was not in though, so I am getting this 3rd person. I'll talk to him in the AM. Just want to know if this sounds like what the 25 hour maintenance light would say.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@BobJohnson Thats the 25 hour maintenance light and display. To remove this, they will have to hook up to the "BUDS" system, and reset the maintenance timer for each motor. The connection is next to the fuse block.

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
@ScarabMike - thanks for the quick reply! I just left the service guy a voice mail with this information. I will follow up with him in the AM tomorrow. thanks again.