• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Malibu Buys Cobalt

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No kidding. And no idea about the financial background but if you'd asked me yesterday I would have probably bet either the other way around or certainly more than $130M to buy Cobalt.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They didn't even get 1x 12 months revenue. $130M and they had $140M in sales the past 12 months.

Johmas50

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
They didn't even get 1x 12 months revenue. $130M and they had $140M in sales the past 12 months.
I thought that was weird too. Why would a privately held company sell for what amounted to less than a single years net profit.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To be honest I was surprised at how small both Cobalt and Malibu are from a revenue standpoint. This goes to show just how fragmented the market is. While Malibu said that Cobalt would be accretive, their profit can't be that great given their sales price because Malibu isn't setting the world on fire from a profit standpoint.

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I thought that was weird too. Why would a privately held company sell for what amounted to less than a single years net profit.
$140 in net SALES, not profit...

I have no idea what the margins are on boats after all cost of goods, selling and admin, etc... I am guessing 20% on high end (but again, no idea... car manufactures are around 7-10%)

So at $130MM, MAY be around 5X profits

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
$140 in net SALES, not profit...

I have no idea what the margins are on boats after all cost of goods, selling and admin, etc... I am guessing 20% on high end (but again, no idea... car manufactures are around 7-10%)

So at $130MM, MAY be around 5X profits
Net Income for Malibu is $18M on $257M revenue (7%). GM 9.4B on 166B (~6%). I would have expected "premium" brand of Cobalt to be worth more if their margins were reflective of premium brand, and Malibu to be more profitable.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wonder if we'll someday see an inboard luxury wakeboat with a Cobalt badge on it.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well, Malibu must be rolling in the cash since they're leasing the Surf Gate technology to Chaparral. Kudos to them! I personally think the wake boats are way overpriced as well as the Cobalt boats. Even their Axis boats are overpriced. I looked at their entry-level 20' boat at the boat show this year. It was close to $70K and I'd compare the quality of the finishings to that of a Bayliner - very pathetic. I'm sure it makes a sweet wave for surfing, but you're basically paying for the Surf Gate technology, the gigantic V8 engine, and the dumb name.

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Probably a very good deal for Cobalt.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, Malibu must be rolling in the cash since they're leasing the Surf Gate technology to Chaparral. Kudos to them! I personally think the wake boats are way overpriced as well as the Cobalt boats. Even their Axis boats are overpriced. I looked at their entry-level 20' boat at the boat show this year. It was close to $70K and I'd compare the quality of the finishings to that of a Bayliner - very pathetic. I'm sure it makes a sweet wave for surfing, but you're basically paying for the Surf Gate technology, the gigantic V8 engine, and the dumb name.
Can't be rolling in that much cash they only had 150 million in revenue .

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A cobalt wake boat? Mortgage your houses, boys, thats gonna be money. LOL probably totally worth it but. man......$$$$$$ :)

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score