• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Maneuvering question

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Anyone figured out how to crab crawl a dual motored jet boat?
I have seen a yamaha maneuver sideways but I can't quite figure out the throttle/steering setup to accomplish a true lateral movement.
Would be a big help (plus look cool) when docking in a crowded marina.

Here is how I've accomplish that maneuver, there is probably other ways to do it too. I put my starboard engine in reverse, about 3/4 reverse and leave it, then use the port engine in forward adjusting the amount of forward to get the boat move slightly forward the slightly back. From what I remember I also used a little wheel to get the boat in the right position. You can swap the engine setup it won't matter, I use the port engine for the variable control because that throttle is closest to me and easier to get to.

And if you haven't since the video it is very helpful in maneuvering these boats,

I have never tried that. It will be fun to play with!

Alternating reverse and forward and reversing steering appropriately. One throttle for a l ittle more control. I can imagine that either flavor of fins will reduce the ability. I've found pivoting more effective the the attempt to crab walk.

It takes time and patience, but it's a blast to do that at a crowded dock. It's one of the things that pisses my buddies off about our boat...that, and the fact that we can slide through the shallow areas without risking a high dollar prop.

Time and patience. Not to be confused with Patience and Time. :cool:

I use forward and reverse and just walk it sideways to the dock as long as there is some wind. If there is no wind point to the dock power in turn fast with a blast of throttle and then uses the forward reverse alternating to walk to the dock. It takes time to master this

Fins and the new '15 keel design will make this behavior a lot more difficult (though they fix many other issues). I've always had fins on, might try without them sometime soon but even without fins I think I would pivot more than crab. Isn't crabbing just to reduce forward velocity without reverse (this is what aircraft on approach do sometimes). I suppose that walking a dock to enter a slip might have some benefit to crabbing, but that seems like "pivot; add fwd power;pivot" over and over again.

With a single engine it's just turn the steering in the direction you want and switch from forward to reverse and the boat moves sideward, even with Fins on, so I can't see anything different with twins . Unless the winds blowing against you, then it just won't work :(.

Back