• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Manhattan/Hudson River

Scoop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Anyone ever do the Manhattan circumnavigation? Seems like it might be pretty cool - if Not I am thinking about cruising up the Hudson for a bit.

Thoughts?

Thanks Scoop

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone ever do the Manhattan circumnavigation? Seems like it might be pretty cool - if Not I am thinking about cruising up the Hudson for a bit.

Thoughts?

Thanks Scoop
It is FANTASTIC.

It's the best way to see the city, if you ask me.
We do it - weekly, lol.

1626659654556.jpeg

1626659702920.jpeg
--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From the GWB, go up and cut through the Spuyten Duyvil bridge, call their phone if closed, they open quickly if you are polite.
Take Harlem river to the Hell Gate - East river and swoop around the tip of Manhattan back to Hudson.

A few things to watch for - like wakes from Staten Island ferries, etc. Have to be very vigilant in the harbor, it's busy and just like in the City, no one gives a f#$% if you pay attention, so it is all on you. It's a fantastic experience - if you approach it the right way, just need to be a bit prepared.

Happy to talk - if you like - PM your phone number.

--

Scoop

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks I am on the road and will PM you in a few days.

Scoop

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Curious what this looks like in NY City!?
Funny. Spuyten Duyvil swing bridge opens "on demand", there is a number on the bridge 917-295-9161 that can be called and the operator can tell you if a train is coming and when they will be able to open the bridge. There's no schedule. I have talked to them a few times and they seem nice, probably a good idea to let them know few things up front, which I always do, like if you are there or calling ahead, what kind of a boat, etc.
One can also call radio them on Channel 13, in theory, but they don;t seem to pick up.

Reminds me of lock operators on rivers, these operators must be bored out of their minds so some of them like to talk, but they pretty much hate entitled recreational boaters, which I wouldn't blame them for.

tob1y2k7

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm actually thinking of doing that July 31st or Aug 7th, launching from GW --> status of Liberty-->FDR-->city Island then cut through Spuyten Duyvil swing bridge-->Tappenzee bridge and stop at the Terrytown Marina grab something to eat from Barley on the Hudson and head back to GW, I think thats 80 miles trip. I did this trip about 8 years ago with Jet ski but that was long time ago... let me know if you want to head out together.

Attachments

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is a fantastic way to see the city. @swatski took us last month while we were visiting NYC on one of his now famous city by boat tours. It was awesome and it was something that we'll never forget. The only rough part was the area around Lady Liberty where all the ferries run. Very confusing sea state. It's that your boat can't handle, but your body may not like it. We were on Swatski's other boat, a Parker, and it handled the chop beautifully. IMG_55391.jpg

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Stay 500 yards from Statue of Liberty you’ll be surprise how fast coast guard mounted with machine gun can come out of nowhere if you get too close 😂

tob1y2k7

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm actually thinking of doing that July 31st or Aug 7th, launching from GW --> status of Liberty-->FDR-->city Island then cut through Spuyten Duyvil swing bridge-->Tappenzee bridge and stop at the Terrytown Marina grab something to eat from Barley on the Hudson and head back to GW, I think thats 80 miles trip. I did this trip about 8 years ago with Jet ski but that was long time ago... let me know if you want to head out together.
I did the 80 miles trip on July 31st, 4 adults and 4 kids (7-9 years old) and I did 25mph-35mph, I brought 5 gallons tank of gas just in case since it was first long trip on 2019 SX210. I used 34 gallons total and with 50 gallons tank, I think we could manage 120 miles.
I just wanted to share this so anyone who's thinking of taking a long trip could plan out better.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hmm… I might need to schedule a visit to NYC… 🤔

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone wanna do a meet up in New York City this year? Maybe Sandy Hook or something like that?
Absolutely! Keep us posted. If dates/times permit I'm in. I'd be thrilled to offer a ride to anyone who's boatless, from out of town, who would like to join.
I'll say, if the weather cooperates, NYC boating is a fantastic experience. There are virtually no no wake zones, and there access to most piers around Manhattan for close viewing, it's like a high end architectural tour.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Absolutely! Keep us posted. If dates/times permit I'm in. I'd be thrilled to offer a ride to anyone who's boatless, from out of town, who would like to join.
I'll say, if the weather cooperates, NYC boating is a fantastic experience. There are virtually no no wake zones, and there access to most piers around Manhattan for close viewing, it's like a high end architectural tour.
Want to set a tentative date that’s good?
This is really your territory I just joined the Newburgh Yatch Club so I have my boat on the Hudson this year.

Stealth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Considering trying this Memorial Day weekend. Any concerns with to much traffic?

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Considering trying this Memorial Day weekend. Any concerns with to much traffic?
not sure if this is still the case but NYC is not a boating city, boat ramp always empty, those who have boat it is stored in docks/marina. But last boated there 2007 lol. you have multiple places to launch, liberty state park and my go to when i was there is little boat ramp in bayonne next to thomas domenico park. But please dont take my word for it cause im not really sure nowadays, good chance still very few boats cause most houses doesnt have driveway to fit boat.

1684937316657.png