• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Marine charts?

Patman941

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hit an oyster bed over the weekend. Boat just got dropped off for repairs. I was boating out of town and unfamiliar with the waterways.

I’m terrified that it will happen again. I’m relatively new to boating and am curious if there is a tool or marine charter that identifies KNOWN hazards in the water like oyster bed, rocks, shipwrecks, etc.?

We were fortunate enough not to put a hole through the hull, but it was bad.....30FBB1FB-10DF-48F1-8E51-E76BCEB57ACC.jpeg7536B05E-0FC2-4C33-BB34-9E9991989960.jpeg

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Patman941

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve looked into Navonics before this incident, but held off unfortunately. So it will show on the map things like oyster beds and rocks in shallow water?

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yes if they are know and updated. I also pay extra for the daily scan updates. Get a simrad go on your boat and it will Color shade too based on sonar sounding uploads.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Damn, that sucks. We've all been there and it hurts. I use a Garmin (73CV) that has maps on it. It'll display your depth and provide warnings if in too shallow water.

Patman941

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes if they are know and updated. I also pay extra for the daily scan updates. Get a simrad go on your boat and it will Color shade too based on sonar sounding uploads.
I’ll look into the Simrad. Once installed, then you pay for annual subscription for Navonics? If so can you just use Navonics with a phone?

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yes there is an annual fee. I got the $199 which give 3d charts and daily updates. They ship you and SD card and you can update it via that, and your phone can also sync to the Simrad Go and update that way as well.
I have the GO9 on my 210 FSH and love it. Make sure you install the transducer properly and it should give depth soundings at all speeds.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I’ll look into the Simrad. Once installed, then you pay for annual subscription for Navonics? If so can you just use Navonics with a phone?
You can use up to 5 or 6 devices with same account. I have app on phone as well a an iPad which I prefer as it is easier to view.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Hit an oyster bed over the weekend. Boat just got dropped off for repairs. I was boating out of town and unfamiliar with the waterways.

I’m terrified that it will happen again. I’m relatively new to boating and am curious if there is a tool or marine charter that identifies KNOWN hazards in the water like oyster bed, rocks, shipwrecks, etc.?

We were fortunate enough not to put a hole through the hull, but it was bad.....View attachment 129352View attachment 129351
@Patman941 .....sooo sorry for you but very, very smart of you to get that hull repaired! There are some areas where it looks like fiberglass has been exposed and you do not want water to be given a chance to migrate into those areas as it just loves to! :cool:

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length

We were fortunate enough not to put a hole through the hull, but it was bad.....View attachment 129352View attachment 129351
That's sad to see.
But I have to question, being that shallow did the water allow you see any of that, or leading up to that?
If you are equipped with an integrated depth gauge, set your depth alarm at 5-6' too. This may help prevent future issues. I keep mine set @ 4.5.

bigwaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That’s a good looking setup. Is it removable? I’m always concerned someone will see it and swipe it while it’s in storage.
I believe the Simrad unit can be removed from the mount but I’m not 100% sure of that. I have not had the Yamaha in the water yet. I do know that Navionics is excellent, I run it on two Raymarine chartplotters on my Formula.