• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Massive Bimini Top Failure over the weekend.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
so over the weekend, I had the Bimini Top up on my 2008 212X, secured as usual with the zipper around the rear bar and the nylon straps holding the front taught.. Got the boat up to speed 35MPH, and the whole damn thing just folded down in front of the windshield. Scary to say the least, killed the motors and floated to a stop.

After getting home I removed all of the offending Bimini top to find that the main support structure was bent in a horseshoe across the long bar and bent at 45 degree angles where it attaches to the tower, the secondary support bar snapped the support plastic piece in half. And it ripped the corner out of the top itself..

Pissed I pull up the internet to find that back in 2008-2012 there was a recall on this top for this very incident wherein Yamaha retrofitted some support bars to the front of the main structure to keep the front from folding down like it did, mine does not have them.

Now here is the great part, so I call Yamaha Customer Service this morning to see if they will extend the recall to get my bimini fit and according to my serial #, the recall was done by the dealership selling the boat before it was originally sold.. However it was not on my boat... Sounds to me like the dealer turned in the claim for the repair but never did it.

Yamaha Customer Service has me going to the local dealer to have it inspected.. Hopefully they will step up and cover the damage.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll make sure I get the reinforced one whenever I get to fixing my bimini.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@kthrash I do remember that being an issue with the 08's. Glad that you didn't get hurt. @jetboater4life I would imagine that the 2010's have a different style or had the retro-fit as standard equipment by then.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good News Yamaha stepped up and replaced the entire top!

soggyshoes

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That is great to hear that Yamaha is standing behind their product.
Now I imagine they are going to have some words with the dealer that claimed they repaired it.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Original dealer was put out of business by Yamaha in 2009 for unscrupulous dealings..

brockhals

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Glad to hear they replaced it. So what changed from the previous top?

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
if you look towards the front you can see two support poles about a foot long extending from the bimini to the tower.. it keeps the top from collapsing on itself while under way.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about that....glad everyone is safe.

...the good news is all Yamaha's.

The fact that no one got hurt and you didn't sue them is good news for them. They should have at least thrown you a bone for being a nice guy about it. Oil change or something. jmo

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Even though my wife is a litigation attorney, I don't believe in just "suing" people for the sake of filing a law suit.. no harm, no foul, all I wanted was a new top and I got it, so I am happy, even if it did take 3 weeks.

I even bought the boat mechanic at the dealership an 18 pack of his favorite frosty beverage, in hopes if I ever did have to take it back he would remember me.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I even bought the boat mechanic at the dealership an 18 pack of his favorite frosty beverage, in hopes if I ever did have to take it back he would remember me.
Good move! I try to do that whenever the situation allows. Most people remember that sort of thing and give you much better service in the future. :)