• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mat melting from sun reflection....

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anybody else have their seadek or other type of mat melt from a reflection? My lower tow hook reflects down on the small mat below it and is melting it. I guess it's like a magnifying glass effect.

thumbnail_IMG_4512.jpg

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Yes, friend that has an older cobalt with similar mats. He suggested for me to get a surface protectant. I’ve heard of others that complain of the loss of traction. I have not bought any yet.

bumpy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We had similar damage on our swim platform from the reflections from the rear table mount. We considered scotch-brighting the surface to dull it; never did it though. It would have reduced the reflection but I'm not sure it would be enough.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, friend that has an older cobalt with similar mats. He suggested for me to get a surface protectant. I’ve heard of others that complain of the loss of traction. I have not bought any yet.
This isn't a general breakdown as these are brand new. It's only directly where the sun reflects off the chrome towhook. It is melting. I had one area years ago where a full water bottle created a magnifying glass effect and melted an area. I may just paint the chrome black.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
This isn't a general breakdown as these are brand new. It's only directly where the sun reflects off the chrome towhook. It is melting. I had one area years ago where a full water bottle created a magnifying glass effect and melted an area. I may just paint the chrome black.
@scokill .....happened with a friend. he just put one of those fabric covers that come with sunglasses that have a drawstring to close them over the tow hook. Stayed on until he wanted to use the tow hook then was easy to remove. Even got a gray one to match his deck.... LOL.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yup....the rear deck table mounts were a big problem with this melting the turf. Jetboat Pilot even made covers for them i believe.