• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Mecedes Owners - Need your advice

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I've been thinking about purchasing my first Mercedes in the coming months. I dont want to purchase new but am looking in the 20-30K range for a used one.

Originally I was thinking about a C350 coupe or sedan, but now am leaning towards an E350 coupe, 2011 maybe?

Mg_640.jpg

It looks like the 09-10 C300 series had a bunch of problems and the E350 owners seem happy (from Edmunds reviews).

Can anyone input on their (dis)satisfaction of owning an MB?

Cars I've owned are Civics, G35 Coupe and my Pathfinder.

Qualities I'm looking for:
  • Quiet ride
  • Good performance
  • Reliable
  • Moderate technology (TCS, Stability, Media)
  • Styling
Also can anyone comment on MBTex vs leather?

Thanks in advance!

I don't have 1, but my mom has a 13' GL450 and my mom-in-law (who lives with me) had a E350. The E350 got wrecked and replaced with a Jag XF.
Very nice cars - the nicest, quietest driving cars I've driven by far! Nothing major has needed service - but they've both been in lots of times for all sorts of electronic gremlins. Little annoyances - climate control has stopped working, radios, Bluetooth, GPS required complete replacement (that took 3 weeks), various dash lights messages, sunroof not closing - its a long list. And everytime they go in - I think - thank God its still under warranty. Like I said - nothing major - but still pisses you off.

But man they look good and drive nice.

I've never owned a Mercedes, but I've seen and driven lots of them in my job. I've seen what holds up to use and abuse and a Mercedes is good for about 5 years. They are a nice looking line of cars and have some really cool tech stuff, but they are a high dollar all the way. For your budget and the reliability that I'm sure you want I'd stick with Lexus or Infiniti. We own two Nissan, which is what Infiniti is as you know, that both have well over 120k miles and have done nothing more then front brakes on both, and keep tires on them. I just recently replaced the spark plugs on my wife's Altima. They are great cars and quick for a 4door sedan and still get 35mpg on the highway.

Every time I think about a Mercedes @Rana tells me that I am not old enough. We love German cars. We have had two in the garage for the last decade. By the time she thinks I am old enough for a Mercedes I hope to be able to afford Italian.

Thanks guys.

I had a bunch of issues with my 2003.5 G35 that I bought basically new. (Granted it was the first year ever for the G35)
Had my tranny replaced, power windows, door latches/locks, radio, truck actuator and some suspension parts replaced... luckily most under warranty. Sold it when oil started leaking in the spark plugs around 160K miles.

I'm not a big fan Lexus for the styling, and am disappointed in the styling of the G37. To me it looks to feminine, but it is still a nice car. The GS and ES are nice but not my type of car. If they made the IS in a coupe back then, I would maybe consider it.

So what I'm reading so far is the reliability for these cars are not that great. This is what I was most concerned about. I could maybe go BMW but I like the interior and tech that comes with an MB better.

Keep the comments coming!

I worked for a a BMW dealership for almost 20 years and an independent Benz shop before that. I have owned 8 different BMW's over the years and have had great ownership experience but that is due to the fact that I knew which models and years to purchase. If I could give you one piece of advice when buying a used German car, it would be to purchase a model that is within the last two years of the production run before they redesign. This of course applies to most cars, boats, etc. but it always seems that the German cars have more than their share of electrical gremlins in the first few years of a production run. Good luck with your search.

I had an 05 S class. Great car, smoothest thing I ever drove. I remember driving home from a college game one night in the rain years ago and my passenger who didn't like speed, said he thought I should slow down. I was cruising at 105 and didn't realize it, thought I was doing 70. These things are made to go smooth and go fast. The problem, however, and you will have problems, is what you hear - they are as expensive as hell to repair. I had an indie mechanic who I trusted and even though he was about 40% less than a dealer, I would still get bent over. I blew a fuel pump (actually I think it had 2 but am not sure) and it was about 900 to pull it and replace it. Any little thing would cost a fortune. The regulator for a window? Outrageous but at least I had a body shop friend I barter with so it was replaced labor free for the cost of the item, about 400 aftermarket. You had better use their fluids, also. Don't know if you could get away with something other than original, but I never did because my mechanic would not. Brakes were a fortune. There are a few forums out there where you could get help, for example when my automatic door shut regulator blew. I did not want to pay about 8-900 for a new one, so every now and then I learned I could open the trunk and pull a fuse 11, and once again my doors would shut completely - for a few weeks until I pulled/inserted the fuse again. Same with the trunk closure mechanism. Blow or crack a head lamp? Bend over or get an aftermarket one that looks like shit. Yes - the absolute best, smoothest ride ever, and I mean ever. But I will never own another. Too much nickel and diming (well. maybe 100 and 500 ing) to make it worth it. Good for a few years, but hit 50,000 and start having issues. I was told there was some sort of AC mechanism that sooner or later was going to go bad, and it would cost 5-6 grand to replace. I had my tranny replaced under warranty at I think 60,000 miles. Are you kidding me? Ten grand that I did not have to pay. And remember, an S class is one of the premier Mercedes, the flagship. But loads of problems. Loads of fun for sure, man what a great car but it wasn't worth it. Plus, the forums for Benzes are filled with many dickheads, in fact more dickheads than helpful people. You wouldn't believe the crap that would go on there when you sought help. We have a rare breed with this forum for sure. Want to feel like a moron? Go on a Benz forum and ask a question! The only good thing was about the time my mechanic said I really needed to think of unloading it (the AC was overdue to go) I was stopped in traffic, waiting for someone to turn left. Looked in my mirror and saw some jackass texting. Thought "Oh shit - he doesn't know I've stopped" and boom, he hit me at about 30 mph. I thought for sure the car was totalled. I got out, surveyed the damage, and being 100 miles from home knew I had to drive home, so took a crow bar out and bent some metal back. Driving that beast home from inside the vehicle you would have no idea that the entire back end was destroyed. Like a Volvo, this tank was built to survive an impact like that. Interior intact, and we drove home. Took it to my friend's body shop, and made sure it was totaled. Did my lawyer thing and made them give me a Mercedes rental for the time the case was under insvestigation. Got a Mercedes SUV for a few weeks, forget which type. This thing was a complete POS. Driving this low end Mercedes SUV which I'm sure sold for about 60K at the time sealed my decision that I would never own a Benz again.

Back in 92 I bought a 90 BMW535I. That was the baddest car I ever owned. 5 speed, handled like a dream. Not smooth like the Benz, but it was a sports car. Eventually I blew the engine on it and had to get rid of it, but that was the funnest car I ever drove. Pure speed and maneuverability. Downshift and adios. But even the newer BMWs are fraught with issues. It's just amazing that you can get a Honda and have it go 150000 miles before you even get a hint a slight trouble. Sure they don't ride like a Benz or BMW, but those days for me are through. Back then I drove to impress, or so I thought (in the lawyer business). Now, I'll show up in my 12 year old pick up truck and woe to the fool that misjudges the redneck in the pick up truck.

Bottom line? Don't buy. You will eventually regret it, unless you have a few years of the warranty left. Imagine if I had to pay to replace that tranny ? Yikes!

I had an 05 S class. Great car, smoothest thing I ever drove. I remember driving home from a college game one night in the rain years ago and my passenger who didn't like speed, said he thought I should slow down. I was cruising at 105 and didn't realize it, thought I was doing 70. These things are made to go smooth and go fast. The problem, however, and you will have problems, is what you hear - they are as expensive as hell to repair. I had an indie mechanic who I trusted and even though he was about 40% less than a dealer, I would still get bent over. I blew a fuel pump (actually I think it had 2 but am not sure) and it was about 900 to pull it and replace it. Any little thing would cost a fortune. The regulator for a window? Outrageous but at least I had a body shop friend I barter with so it was replaced labor free for the cost of the item, about 400 aftermarket. You had better use their fluids, also. Don't know if you could get away with something other than original, but I never did because my mechanic would not. Brakes were a fortune. There are a few forums out there where you could get help, for example when my automatic door shut regulator blew. I did not want to pay about 8-900 for a new one, so every now and then I learned I could open the trunk and pull a fuse 11, and once again my doors would shut completely - for a few weeks until I pulled/inserted the fuse again. Same with the trunk closure mechanism. Blow or crack a head lamp? Bend over or get an aftermarket one that looks like shit. Yes - the absolute best, smoothest ride ever, and I mean ever. But I will never own another. Too much nickel and diming (well. maybe 100 and 500 ing) to make it worth it. Good for a few years, but hit 50,000 and start having issues. I was told there was some sort of AC mechanism that sooner or later was going to go bad, and it would cost 5-6 grand to replace. I had my tranny replaced under warranty at I think 60,000 miles. Are you kidding me? Ten grand that I did not have to pay. And remember, an S class is one of the premier Mercedes, the flagship. But loads of problems. Loads of fun for sure, man what a great car but it wasn't worth it. Plus, the forums for Benzes are filled with many dickheads, in fact more dickheads than helpful people. You wouldn't believe the crap that would go on there when you sought help. We have a rare breed with this forum for sure. Want to feel like a moron? Go on a Benz forum and ask a question! The only good thing was about the time my mechanic said I really needed to think of unloading it (the AC was overdue to go) I was stopped in traffic, waiting for someone to turn left. Looked in my mirror and saw some jackass texting. Thought "Oh shit - he doesn't know I've stopped" and boom, he hit me at about 30 mph. I thought for sure the car was totalled. I got out, surveyed the damage, and being 100 miles from home knew I had to drive home, so took a crow bar out and bent some metal back. Driving that beast home from inside the vehicle you would have no idea that the entire back end was destroyed. Like a Volvo, this tank was built to survive an impact like that. Interior intact, and we drove home. Took it to my friend's body shop, and made sure it was totaled. Did my lawyer thing and made them give me a Mercedes rental for the time the case was under insvestigation. Got a Mercedes SUV for a few weeks, forget which type. This thing was a complete POS. Driving this low end Mercedes SUV which I'm sure sold for about 60K at the time sealed my decision that I would never own a Benz again.

Back in 92 I bought a 90 BMW535I. That was the baddest car I ever owned. 5 speed, handled like a dream. Not smooth like the Benz, but it was a sports car. Eventually I blew the engine on it and had to get rid of it, but that was the funnest car I ever drove. Pure speed and maneuverability. Downshift and adios. But even the newer BMWs are fraught with issues. It's just amazing that you can get a Honda and have it go 150000 miles before you even get a hint a slight trouble. Sure they don't ride like a Benz or BMW, but those days for me are through. Back then I drove to impress, or so I thought (in the lawyer business). Now, I'll show up in my 12 year old pick up truck and woe to the fool that misjudges the redneck in the pick up truck.

Bottom line? Don't buy. You will eventually regret it, unless you have a few years of the warranty left. Imagine if I had to pay to replace that tranny ? Yikes!

Well, this seals it...I've been browsing used AMG hard top convertibles. They are surprisingly affordable. in the 7-8 year old/75,000 mile range. Now I know why. No Thanks.

Back