• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mexico anyone?

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
We are headed to Mexico the first week of May. I have never been, so this thread has been very beneficial! Thanks for bringing up the subject @Jim Robeson. We are staying at the Royal Suites Yucatan, does anyone have any experience with this resort? It looks we are just in between Playa del Carmen and Tulum, so all of this information should come in handy. I have only ever done the Caribbean on cruises, never all inclusive, can't wait!

http://www.palladiumhotelgroup.com/en/riviera-maya/the-royal-suites-yucatan-by-palladium/

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Say Hello to my little friend!! Sorry, couldn't resist :D

soggyshoes

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I haven't been to Playa in a couple of years but my wife goes about once a year for the last 15 years or so. Several times including last year she has gone alone or with a girlfriend. She has always felt pretty safe. She is conscious about not wearing a lot of jewelry or looking really fancy when she is out by herself. The locals and the government know that tourism is their life blood so they have a vested interest to ensure your safety.
There is a great dive shop that I have done at least 40 dives with called Yucatek Divers ( http://www.yucatek-divers.com/english.html ). They are really well run. The owner is a Swiss/German guy. They also do Cenote trips and know some of the fishermen in the reserve up north. They took us on a Cenote swim trip that was in a Mayan village where we got to learn about some of the culture and eat the local food (they only used filtered water for the tourist).
If you are buying local food and the like bring Pesos. Most shops have terrible exchange rates or just have higher prices for customers with American money. I love Tacos Gomez; they have amazing tacos! They also have some things that if you are willing to try before you ask what they are, will open your eyes and palate to some tasty new adventures. They are only open in the evening. Los Aguachiles taqueria is the place to go for seafood tacos. There are also a number of places that do an amazing whole fish often infused with garlic. I believe our favorite is only a few blocks from your hotel. I will ask my wife what it is called and for more tips.
Also remember the streets go by 5's so 10th is only 2 blocks off the beach.
Enjoy!

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks @soggyshoes !! I will definitely check out the dive shop. Neither my wife or I are certified but I have to think that they offer introductory dives or snorkel trips. We thought about getting certified before we went to Australia but never did. We have found it just as easy, but maybe not as good, to just stick with the resort dives. We don't have any equipment other than our own mask and snorkel. Plus, I have had a difficult time clearing my head when I start to go passed 20 feet. Thanks for info!!

soggyshoes

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yucatek Divers are great and are run, well by Swiss, so very high quality but don't be late. :) I did my advanced open water certification there about 15 years ago and was more impressed with them than the local dive shop I was using. As I mentioned, they also do swim and snorkeling trips in the cenotes. It is a tourist town so all the shops will have all the gear you need.
My wife says the place that we really like the whole fish with garlic is Bip Bip they are only one block away from your resort on 5th ave. There is also a good Italian place accross the street from them. There are actually quite a few good Italian places as there are a a lot of Italian expats in Playa.
My wife also just said that your wife needs to check out one of the Zingara swimwear shops in town (apparently there are three). She says to say they fit like a glove. Ok, they do look pretty good on her.
She is suggesting thing that will make the trip get expensive so gotta go. Have fun!