• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

MFI galvanized trailer with rusted crossmember

Whatever444

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
The time has come to sell our 2009 212ss (due to lack of use) and I have discovered rust thru on one of the cross members that supports the bunks. The boat is in really good condition and I do not want to try and sell with any negative issues. Has anybody had any welding repairs on an mfi trailer. I am in the Fort Lauderdale area and have tried Ames Trailer Repair on Sterling Road with no success.

The rusted area is about 30 inches and I braced it up for a recent trip to Key Largo. Attached pic of boat and temp repair.

This is a great forum from which I have learned a lot. Thanks for any suggestions

Attachments

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your pics don't show the actual problem as it's covered by your repair. Does the rust go all the way through the cross member? You can do one of two things. Either have the cross member replaced by a welding shop or bring it to the attention of a perspective buyer. I would respect a seller who brought that to my attention.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am surprised that Ames did not want to repair it. Do they not do dean welding or were they concerned that the rest of the trailer would be in similar condition?

If it is just that cross member I feel certain it can be repaired. But I would guess that other sections are similarly rusted.

Whatever444

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
The time has come to sell our 2009 212ss (due to lack of use) and I have discovered rust thru on one of the cross members that supports the bunks. The boat is in really good condition and I do not want to try and sell with any negative issues. Has anybody had any welding repairs on an mfi trailer. I am in the Fort Lauderdale area and have tried Ames Trailer Repair on Sterling Road with no success.

The rusted area is about 30 inches and I braced it up for a recent trip to Key Largo. Attached pic of boat and temp repair.

This is a great forum from which I have learned a lot. Thanks for any suggestions

Whatever444

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Your pics don't show the actual problem as it's covered by your repair. Does the rust go all the way through the cross member? You can do one of two things. Either have the cross member replaced by a welding shop or bring it to the attention of a perspective buyer. I would respect a seller who brought that to my attention.
The rust is all the way thru in spots of both sides of the crossmember. Spoke to a trailer repair shop in Key Largo that said they could order a length of the crossmember. But it comes in 20 foot sections and without the bend the mfi trailers have.

Whatever444

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I am surprised that Ames did not want to repair it. Do they not do dean welding or were they concerned that the rest of the trailer would be in similar condition?

If it is just that cross member I feel certain it can be repaired. But I would guess that other sections are similarly rusted.
The Ames tech stated due to liability. Only a portion of that crossmember is bad, the rest of the trailer looks good. I was hoping to repair just the affected section as I have installed new brake calipers, led lights and radial tires recently. Both shops wanted to sell new trailers.

fireslayin

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought a 2009 ar210 that the mfi steel trailer was completely trashed from rust. Your best best either replace the trailer or adjust your price on the boat to reflect the need for a new trailer.

Whatever444

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I bought a 2009 ar210 that the mfi steel trailer was completely trashed from rust. Your best best either replace the trailer or adjust your price on the boat to reflect the need for a new trailer.
You may be right. This is a galvanized trailer that was maintained and washed / flushed with salt away after each launch. After looking at the rusted area this morning I wonder if the drain holes were blocked in that area and not properly flushed. I coated all steel parts (springs, hangers, etc) with CRC heavy duty corrision protector before the first launch and once a year thereafter. Even the steel parts show no rust.

Maybe talk to welding shop or adjust price to allow for repair. Hate to replace trailer that still could have so much use left. Many potential buyers could have a welder friend. Thanks for the advice.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Perhaps you could pull the side marker lights and everything else that opens to the inside of the trailer to get a look inside other sections. I know that is the only section that has rusted through but it seems unlikely that only one section would have rusted.

Personally I would find an aluminum trailer for $3K then off the boat as is it with a new aluminum trailer for $1,500 more. At that point you keep the old trailer and get what you can from it.

Whatever444

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Perhaps you could pull the side marker lights and everything else that opens to the inside of the trailer to get a look inside other sections. I know that is the only section that has rusted through but it seems unlikely that only one section would have rusted.

Personally I would find an aluminum trailer for $3K then off the boat as is it with a new aluminum trailer for $1,500 more. At that point you keep the old trailer and get what you can from it.

Took a look, no way to see inside other crossmembers. Going to research some other local trailer shops in the area. Need to pull boat out anyway to take pictures and will run by trailer shops for their opinion on repair or replace. What site do you think is best to advertise boat? Thanks

fireslayin

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My steal trailer was trashed. The story is he lived and bought the boat and trailer up north than moved to s.florida a few years back. I was fortunate not have a catastrophic failure driving it home. Sounds like yours is in better shape.

I bought a new trailer from tnt out of Brandon for 3k. Either way best of luck .