• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

MFI Trailer Problems

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I got the boat out of the barn and was going to do the 45 mile drive to the marina today. About 5 miles into the ride, I noticed a burning odor. Turns out that my brakes had been smoking and were quite hot.

I was able to limp to a boat shop nearby and left it there.

I have had the boat 3 seasons and this will be the 2nd rebuild of the brake system and 3rd of the reverse solenoid. (I saw Derek's thread on that and have decided it will be worth the money to have someone else deal with it.)

I only drive my boat to the lake at the beginning of the season, and home at the end.

I guess my question is WTF? Is there some sort of aftermarket brakes or kit that is more reliable and doesn't cause constant problems? Maybe I am the only one?

Thanks,

Eric

Do you boat in salt water or fresh water? Do you launch right away after driving to the ramp or do you give the brakes time to cool down?

That really is a crazy amount of rebuilding for a trailer that is used twice a year!

I wonder if stainless calipers would be better?

I think you need to look at a failed caliper and determine why it failed to be able to replace with something that will handle your situation better.

Way too much going on with this trailer. It has only been in the water twice in the last 3 years as the marina uses a lift.

Eric

Yes, you have something going on there that is not right. My suspicion is that you have a stuck caliper or something and that they have replaced everything but that...

Has the same place done all that work on it?

So I had the trailer repaired. The brakes and bearings were shot from the heat.

Apparently the master cylinder was bad which was allowing constant pressure on the brakes.

The whole master cylinder assembly was replaced along with the brakes and wheel hub assemblies. They also repaired some wiring that I had damaged in a separate event.

$1,200....

Based on my experience I am leery of towing on the long trip that we are planning in July. I am going to test the trailer by jacking it and rotating the wheels by hand for smooth rotation.

Eric

I don't have a great distance to tow from storage to ramp to hotel, etc. So I have the brakes locked out.

I used to get an occasional grabby brake issue when backing down, that's when I decided to lock the damn things out.

Since I'm replacing the tires in preparation for some long distance towing this summer, I'll most likely tear into the brakes and see if they are still happy. :cool:

There is a key that comes with your trailer...
upload_2015-6-2_10-47-13.jpeg

there is a sliding mechanism on the side of the tongue that accepts that key to prevent the surge brakes from engaging.

Ultimately I had the whole surge assembly (it was 8 years old), several hoses, the reverse lockout solenoid, the brakes, and the hubs on the braking wheels replaced with new parts.

We then towed 300 miles (with several stops to check things) and had no problems. I am anal enough that I bought a laser thermometer and the temps never got above around 110F.

I had to add grease to the bearings on the old bearing buddies several times so I had the marina at Lake Holcombe replace the other two.

The return 300 mile trip was as uneventful and all four bearing buddies held grease.

Now that I've spent enough on trailer repairs to buy a new trailer, everything is functioning trouble free.

Eric

Back