• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

MFI Trailers - stainless caps for the trailer buddy grease caps

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did not know that these existed until I started researching a failed trailer buddy. The caps cover the end of the trailer buddy making the boots unnecessary. More importantly they allow you to instantly see the grease level of each bearing. They cost less than $2 each.

image.jpg

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OK that's a cool mod. I admit that I don't check the grease as often as I should. No excuses with these added!

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bruce,

Can you share where you found these? I'm interested in swapping out the boots on my trailer.

Thanks
Mark

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Question, it seems like those would not be waterproof, unlike the boots. Have you dunked them for a few minutes and then taken them off to see if any water comes out?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am certain that water can get in through the cap. Are you concerned about water getting through the grease zerk? That seems unlikely to me.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't know. What's the point of the boots or any cover at all if water is OK? Honest question. My family owned coal trucks for decades and if some dirt got on the zerk fitting you just wiped them off before putting the gun to them.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Picking up my boat & trailer from storage after work today so I will verify, but I am quite sure I have BOTH the stainless caps and the black rubber-like boots on each wheel.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure, tractors and construction equipment have lots of exposed zerks. I guess the boot could provide some protection against road hazards. But I do not believe that water getting in through the zerk will be an issue. The grease is pressurized. And the zerk has a ball bearing seal. So I do not believe that water will get in unless the trailer buddies seal has failed and that should be obvious.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I concur, I don't think water and the zerk would be an issue. I guess the real issue is, how important is the rubber boot, or how much protection does it provide? What's the purpose of each?

I'm thinking way too much about grease fittings right now.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mine are about to get a 2,500 mile test.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce this is an interesting topic. My boat yard guy - I call him Steve - told me to ditch the black rubber boots over the hubs (I already had the caps underneath)

His reasoning was that the boots held water - the likelihood of anyone actually taking the time to pull the boots was slim. He'd seen enough failures to become adamant about his position regarding the boots.
So, when I recently yanked the rubber boots and greased my too low hubs, I noticed a bit of oily water dripping out as I pumped grease in. :eek:

He recommended that if I didn't like the look of them bootless that I should get these hub caps with an open center that allowed you to see the grease indicators, but didn't retain water.
319EZ_1000.jpg http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Excalibur/319EZ.html

Now I just have to measure my wheels and order them. They do look better than the black boots and they are certainly cheap enough

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I thought those caps were stock on the trailer. I had it on mine when I bought it and has the rubber covers over the caps

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I ordered my new trailer wheels, I got these. Water drains out and as the guy from the wheel place told me, anything over 3mph will get water out from contrifugal force anyhow.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
These made it easy to see that one of my bearings was low after the 2,600+ miles of towing to and from Bimini. That bearing was the only one that needed grease along the way.

image.jpg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Getting ready to upgrade to 15” tires and rims with new bearing buddies so thanks for posting this.