• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Michigan Tightens Drinking and Boating Limits

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That's been the standard BAC in NJ for years now. Reason being, the states get more money from the feds for doing this. If they did not drop the BAC level then they would be at risk of losing ALOT of funding.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
.08 has been the law in ca for over a decade.

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Georgia law is also .08.
If a child under 14 is onboard then there is an added charge of child endangerment.
We only see DNR on Allatoona on busy weekends, especially a holiday weekend like this one.
A few years ago Georgia had some pretty terrible boating accidents involving impaired captains and the laws were stiffened.
Collisions still happen although the new law seems to have cut down on the frequency.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NC is .08 as well. But the violation is a class 2 misdemeamor. Nothing is tied back to driving or your license. Also there is NO implied consent to a breath or chemical analysis while on a boat. All this applies to the pilot AND anyone on a towable, ski or such.

All applies to a vessel afloat.....motorized or not.
Beer and wine only on a boat. No mixed drinks/hard liquer.

My understanding is in order to get a DUI it has to have wheels in NC

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
in ca if you get a dui or a bui the penalties are the same , automatic suspension of your drivers license for one year for the first offense. If you are granted a waiver it is only to drive to and from work. Plus you have to take a few classes, pay fines/do community sercice, etc. the immediate financial cost is around $10k.

My buddy is an assistant District attorney and previously a public defender. His advice too me is that if I get pulled over and know that I'm over .08 is to refuse to take all sobriety field tests as well as refuse to give a breath, urine or blood sample, piss myself if I have to. The rationale being that you still be arrested immediately and will lose your license for a year but you can't be convicted of a dui. Which means no classes, lower fines and your auto insurance rates won't / shouldn't sky rocket as much. According to him the problem with this information is that most people don't know it (and think they must submit to testing) and those that do are to drunk to remember to use it when they should. This doesn't work if you are involved in an accident where injuries are involved. I generally don't drink so I shouldn't need to use or test his advice.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
in ca if you get a dui or a bui the penalties are the same , automatic suspension of your drivers license for one year for the first offense. If you are granted a waiver it is only to drive to and from work. Plus you have to take a few classes, pay fines/do community sercice, etc. the immediate financial cost is around $10k.

My buddy is an assistant District attorney and previously a public defender. His advice too me is that if I get pulled over and know that I'm over .08 is to refuse to take all sobriety field tests as well as refuse to give a breath, urine or blood sample, piss myself if I have to. The rationale being that you still be arrested immediately and will lose your license for a year but you can't be convicted of a dui. Which means no classes, lower fines and your auto insurance rates won't / shouldn't sky rocket as much. According to him the problem with this information is that most people don't know it (and think they must submit to testing) and those that do are to drunk to remember to use it when they should. This doesn't work if you are involved in an accident where injuries are involved. I generally don't drink so I shouldn't need to use or test his advice.
Do that stuff in NJ and you will get enough summonses to play a few rounds of poker with. Along with some criminal obstructions charges...fines may equal out in the end. But still will be charged with DWI, just a DWI with no reading. If the officer is on point and knows what he is doing he could still get the conviction. Normally it wont go that far b/c the other party will more then likely plea out. Guess the best advice is don't get to that point in the first place and it will never be an issue.

whaler7626

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I thought that there was some new law passed that prevented the federal government from bullying states into submission with funding threats. It is absurd the govt can do this to states.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NC is .08 as well. But the violation is a class 2 misdemeamor. Nothing is tied back to driving or your license. Also there is NO implied consent to a breath or chemical analysis while on a boat. All this applies to the pilot AND anyone on a towable, ski or such.

All applies to a vessel afloat.....motorized or not.
Beer and wine only on a boat. No mixed drinks/hard liquer.

My understanding is in order to get a DUI it has to have wheels in NC

UPdate: NC passed a new law recently based off a death outside Charlotte last year http://wpde.com/news/local/carolinas-agree-on-boating-under-the-influence-bui-now-a-felony-in-both-states

As a result, people in North Carolina can now be charged with a felony BUI - boating under the influence.

you know they WRC will be in force on the lakes this weekend....Be smart, Be safe

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Indiana is .08
However, from my understanding anything over .05 is up to the DNR's discretion and will be held up in court as a BUI.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Not sure about boating but that doesn't work for a dwi in a car.. a signed seach warrant for a blood draw and the back is determined for later us in court.... I would be interested to know how it applies to boating. ... a few weeks ago in was in salemburg for training. That's where all the wildlife guys are trained. .. I could have asked any of them.. but too late. Safest advice.... don't drink and captian a boat... (I said safest not the most popular).

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not sure about boating but that doesn't work for a dwi in a car.. a signed seach warrant for a blood draw and the back is determined for later us in court.... I would be interested to know how it applies to boating. ... a few weeks ago in was in salemburg for training. That's where all the wildlife guys are trained. .. I could have asked any of them.. but too late. Safest advice.... don't drink and captian a boat... (I said safest not the most popular).
Getting a search warrant signed is generally not a quick and easy thing to do.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It still has to be signed and executed before the subject sobers up, per my law practicing friends (I'm a non practicing but active member of the CA state bar), this usually does not happen quickly enough especially if the request for such a warrant comes in at night / after normal business hours.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It still has to be signed and executed before the subject sobers up, per my law practicing friends (I'm a non practicing but active member of the CA state bar), this usually does not happen quickly enough especially if the request for such a warrant comes in at night / after normal business hours.
We have magistrates on duty 24 7 so it's not an issue... the body metabolize .01 per hour.. so if they are at .08.. ehhh... but anything much more than that and it is no problem. And remember... u can still have a dwi while less than .08... .07 .06 and even some .05 are not unheard of... it only has to prove Impairment.. that happens at different levels for different people

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
It usually takes at least 2 odoull's to impare me!

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here is an interesting link...According to this, you can drink two beers in the first hour, then one beer every hour after and maintain a .05 BAC. I would like to test this.

http://www.attorneydwi.com/bacperdrink.html