• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Might be a dumb question but I don't know the answer-LS2000 speakers

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 1999 LS2000 that is new to me this year. It has 4 factory speakers. It had a Kenwood headunit that turned on but otherwise didn't work. I replaced that with a Sony DSX-M80 ( Sony DSX-M80 Marine digital media receiver (does not play CDs) at Crutchfield ). Seemed like a pretty good unit that should cover all my needs for this low budget boat. Now all the speakers work but they seem be to lacking. In the garage they sound ok, nothing spectacular but I don't know how normal that is. I've never been on a jet boat or anything similar with a radio so I have no comparison and don't know what to expect for sounds. On the water it seems you can barely hear the speakers at anything but real slow speeds. I don't know if that is normal, I know these boats aren't quiet, or if an upgrade in speakers would be worth it. I'm not looking to be the loudest one out there by any means, I just want decent sound. I don't think I'll ever add a tower or tower speakers to this boat though I've though about adding an 8" or 10" sub or even adding more speakers. There are 2 speakers in the bow and 2 behind the captains chairs. I thought about adding 2 more on each side, about where your knees are when driving. I also thought about adding 2 speakers to the rear of the boat but there doesn't really seem to be a great place to do that. Any suggestions? I'm comfortable wiring and installing anything like this but I've never been an expert in assembling audio systems.

As you said, it is your low budget boat. Even if you upgrade the system, you still won't hear anything, unless you like to shut down, anchor, an dlisten to music. While underway, it is just going to be a struggle to hear anything, upgrades or not. The LS is a loud ass boat, and you will not hear music while underway, unless you invest lots of time and money to out fit the boat with a high end system. Probably not worth it, imo. This was my personal experience on my old LS. I was happy with the stock system, while anchored. Underway? You just won't hear it as that rocketship rumbles.

Hearing music while underway is a surprisingly difficult problem.

If you want to take this on, probably a dB meter phone app to measure how loud the boat is, and a SPL calculator to see what rms amp / speaker rating you would need to exceed the boat’s crazy dB level would be a good place to start.

Thanks guys, I think I'll probably replace the stock 21 year old speakers and call it a day. I don't get to use the boat enough to justify putting a ton of money into it or upgrading to a newer boat. I'll just enjoy it for what it is.

Back