• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Might be buying soon, help with price...

Stealth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I may be buying soon and wanted to get some thoughts on pricing. The attached image is the quote I got. I have not negotiated at all yet. This is also the first dealer I spoke with. I have 2 other dealers that are not much farther away that I could work with as well. However I did buy from this dealer 10 years ago and had a good experience. Thoughts on the price for the SX240? What should I ask for to sweeten the deal? What else do I need to think about at time of purchase? This is in NJ and includes the galvanized trailer. I believe this comes with the 3 year warranty promo as well.

Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 7.04.01 PM.png

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I may be buying soon and wanted to get some thoughts on pricing. The attached image is the quote I got. I have not negotiated at all yet. This is also the first dealer I spoke with. I have 2 other dealers that are not much farther away that I could work with as well. However I did buy from this dealer 10 years ago and had a good experience. Thoughts on the price for the SX240? What should I ask for to sweeten the deal? What else do I need to think about at time of purchase? This is in NJ and includes the galvanized trailer. I believe this comes with the 3 year warranty promo as well.

View attachment 112844
That's not a bad start. I would say this: if you are a value shopper - I would consider the AR240. Unless you have storage restrictions or really want the somewhat larger bimini top (SX has the larger bimini top) - the AR will have more practical and resale value for (almost) the same price. My 0.02, anyway.
Also, trailer is included with Yamaha, a galvanized one may be considered an upgrade but the difference would be $500-1000, not 2.5k.
Happy shopping, keep us posted!

--

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Adding all that up seems quite high for a SX240.
Those add ons seem very high

Stealth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I going SX over AR so I can store it in my garage.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The quote is basically for MSRP, you may or may not be able to do much better while prices are unlikely to go down - until after the season, or just before Yamaha dealers meeting usually at the end of August when you can sometimes get great deals as they try to clear inventories to get their picks new boat models that everyone wants.

--

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Many of us got/get a lot of the non-boat extras thrown in for free. For example, the 'dealer prep', fire extinguisher, CG kit (typically 4 life jackets and a horn, etc.). So you may not find they come down on the boat, but they usually have lots of room on those extras.

Also consider anything else you want to add. I got them to throw in a second battery and manual switch. Some folks want amps, speakers, etc. If you don't ask, you don't get...

Stealth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I got them to throw in a second battery and manual switch.
My understanding was that all 24 foot boats had the dual batteries?

I think I'm going to need a storage cover as well. Is there anything else I should consider getting with the boat day one?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My understanding was that all 24 foot boats had the dual batteries?

I think I'm going to need a storage cover as well. Is there anything else I should consider getting with the boat day one?
That may be true with newer boats. But the older ones, I believe it was just the Limited models that came dual battery with switch stock. Someone will correct me if wrong.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I don't like that they list the trailer there. Trailer is part of the bundle with the boat. You technically can't even buy one without the trailer (dealers can get creative if you really want that). As stated above, most folks get the kit, fire extinguisher, cover, all in as freebie extras. I did. But if I could do it again, I would also ask for the first 10 hour service to be added in for free.

Stealth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I don't like that they list the trailer there. Trailer is part of the bundle with the boat. You technically can't even buy one without the trailer (dealers can get creative if you really want that). As stated above, most folks get the kit, fire extinguisher, cover, all in as freebie extras. I did. But if I could do it again, I would also ask for the first 10 hour service to be added in for free.
The trailer may be listed on its own because its taxed at a different rate than the boat in NJ. But like others have said once you add that back to the boat price it starts to creep real close to MSRP. I just requested a quote of the other local Yamaha dealer and will be contacting another shortly. I will also be going back to the original one to sweeten their deal.

What is the normal cost of the 10 hour service?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The trailer may be listed on its own because its taxed at a different rate than the boat in NJ. But like others have said once you add that back to the boat price it starts to creep real close to MSRP. I just requested a quote of the other local Yamaha dealer and will be contacting another shortly. I will also be going back to the original one to sweeten their deal.

What is the normal cost of the 10 hour service?
A typical quote is about $200 per engine, so a $400 plus some misc.

--

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Cost will be dealer dependent. I've seen it anywhere between 200 to 1k for a dual engine. Mine here in GA was almost 500 bucks. Most will say that the oil change and spark plug service is actually quite easy to do, but I just didn't have the time to devote to that.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
i would go for the AR240. resale will be MUCH easier.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'l add the price of the boat & trailer and as others have said compare that to the MSRP for the package as they are sold. If they're priced separately then as noted above it may be for tax purposes: if so, negotiate the price out of whichever one is higher. - save yourself a few $ on taxes. $50 seems steep for reg stickers. is that for the actual stickers or for something to do with the DMV? if it's the price for them to put stickers on, go buy your own custom pair (that'll look better) for that price and a roll of 1" painters' tape and put them on yourself. Look and see what's also included in that "coast Guard" kit and if you want it, but it from the dealer, if you don't, you can likely get the equivalent equipment from Overton's. $30 is somewhat steep for a fire extinguisher as I think West Marine has a 2-pack of them for about the same price. Remember, those parts at the boat dealer will be marked up a LOT and in many cases they aren't the best for what and how you may want to use the boat (Yamaha's anchor kit is a good example as there's way better anchors out there).

I'd also ask about that set-up fee? if it doesn't include a water test, balk at it BIG TIME.

nf22

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Shop around. There are about 4-5 dealers in driving distance in NJ/NY/PA that you can work off of.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
At a smaller "Lake of the Ozarks Marine Association" boat show that started today in STL I saw only one AR240 - from the largest midwest dealer, Surdyke. Had a bunch of extras, not sure if there where moving on price:
1583460407962.png

I like those new pumps, they intrigue me, lol.
1583460495636.png

--