• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Minnesota trailer registration

mr_cobra

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Hi,

Anyone else got their Shorelandr titled in Minnesota?

I went to the DVS yesterday and got the boat and Trailer registered.

When I came home I realized I got the the trailer registered for a 3000GVWR life time title. The real GVWR of the trailer is 3740lb.
Would this get into trouble if pulled over? Should I try to get it corrected?

Rammrodd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
You should be fine. Our 2019 SX195 was registered the same way with lifetime registration. Just got our new 212xe last fall and it was registered at the next class up with yearly renewal. What part of Minnesota?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
They may have thought they were doing you a favor at the DMV. The gal at the counter asked me the weight of the trailer, and said, if it's this amount we have to plate it, if its under this amount we can lifetime license it.

As if she was giving me the option to lie. That leads me to believe that anyone on the road will not question it, as they rely on the DMV to make that determination by looking at the certificate of origin from the MFG.

Needless to say, I plated it and pay annually to MN. The 19' trailers should be under the limit and qualify for the lifetime sticker. That dual axle would be the what a LEO would notice and question in my eyes. They have better things to worry about. If they question it, just say, that's what they gave me.

Good luck,

proplessdancer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I'm in MN too, single axel trailer you should be just fine. Dual axel, id go back and get a plate. Boat trailers are bit of a grey area for the MN DMV

mr_cobra

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Thanks for the input! I will just leave it as it is

jimbobalu

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The MN dealer licensed my trailer, it's a single axle for my 19" boat, should I try to change it to the lifetime?

proplessdancer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
The MN dealer licensed my trailer, it's a single axle for my 19" boat, should I try to change it to the lifetime?
I'd have it corrected, less trips to the DMV that way!

jimbobalu

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
River Valley keeps disappointing, why would they register a trailer for a plate when it's not required? Do I have to take a trip to the DMV, what documentation do I need to present?

Thanks

Rammrodd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XE
Boat Length
That's strange. We got our 195 from river valley a couple of years ago and they registered it with a permanent tag. What weight class did they register your trailer under? What style of plate did you get?

jimbobalu

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Rammrodd Did you get an aluminum trailer? My steel trailer apparently weighs around 700lbs, so that puts the total weight over 3000lbs and requires the yearly registration.

proplessdancer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Got a 195 from river valley a few years back too and registered lifetime. again, registering boat trailers in MN is a grey area, they care more about the boat itself and very little about the trailer. i'd go in with original paperwork if possible as well as insurance just in case. tell them its a single axel boat trailer under 3,000# and you want a lifetime reg. for it. good luck!