• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mooring cover ripping...

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My mooring cover is starting to tear above the starboard buckle that attaches to the eye under the swim platform. It has just started and isn't bad yet. Is there anything I can do to stop it from getting worse?

I bought some marine thread to match my cover and the wife has been able to sew areas that need repair with her machine. If you don't have a sewing machine handy, any canvas shop should be able to sew it for you and it shouldn't cost much. Cotton thread will work for the short term but the sun and weather will destroy it pretty quickly.

I've tried canvas reapair tape in the past without much success.

We get 3.5 years out of the covers before they disintegrate. Gorilla duct tape on both sides might get you through a season depending on the location of tear. Ours is in summer sun 24x7. we have a new semi custom cover coming with 7 yr warranty. I'll write a review on it when it arrives next week

Another alternative is iron denim patches from stores like Joanne's Fabrics / Michael's Arts & Crafts. They sell it in squares and strips in a variety of colors. I got some to hold an old cover together for two extra seasons. I think these are really just ways to delay the inevitable though, might as well start looking for the replacement.

Thanks @Ronnie Ill have to post a pic. It is very minor but I am in a slip now with a lift and need to stand on the cover when putting it on on the swim deck. This could be adding to the extra wear in that area. Reason I am thinking about going with snap on cockpit and bow covers.

You could try this repair kit from Attwood. I'd stitch the edges to be sure it stays in place. This is what I plan on using when I have a similar problem. So far I've been very fortunate....I try to treat the cover gently when pulling it tight over the cleats. I just know that some day it will let go someplace.

I've had this kit sitting in my "Wish List" on Amazon for a while now.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B91OTQ...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_25fgmffoc7_b

71aPOiEMZPL__SL1500_.jpg

we have a new semi custom cover coming with 7 yr warranty. I'll write a review on it when it arrives next week

@scokill did you get your cover yet, I'm about to try to get some local quotes for a non-yamaha one,

@scokill did you get your cover yet, I'm about to try to get some local quotes for a non-yamaha one,

Material and construction looked good...didn't fit well and the way it went around the tower made it difficult to impossible to put on. We sent it back. We will be ordering the tried and true Yamaha premium mooring cover for not much more. If there were no tower involved it might have been ok.

You could try this repair kit from Attwood. I'd stitch the edges to be sure it stays in place. This is what I plan on using when I have a similar problem. So far I've been very fortunate....I try to treat the cover gently when pulling it tight over the cleats. I just know that some day it will let go someplace.

I've had this kit sitting in my "Wish List" on Amazon for a while now.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B91OTQ...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_25fgmffoc7_b

View attachment 20755

Thanks for this. I just ordered it. I've got a little pinhole near the bow that I want to patch before it starts to tear into a bigger hole.

I was trying to decide if it was worth taking to a canvas shop. It's been riding around in the back of the Excursion for a couple of days now.

I think I might use the leftover material to reinforce the area where the rubber bumper on the windshield rubs on the cover....

Thanks for this. I just ordered it. I've got a little pinhole near the bow that I want to patch before it starts to tear into a bigger hole.

I was trying to decide if it was worth taking to a canvas shop. It's been riding around in the back of the Excursion for a couple of days now.

I think I might use the leftover material to reinforce the area where the rubber bumper on the windshield rubs on the cover....

Hey, that's great! Let me (ok, you can tell everybody) know how it goes. I'll pull the trigger on that in a heartbeat if it does the trick for you. It seemed to me to be one of those things you should just have - in case. Because if something happens I won't be in a position to be able to order it, get it, and effect a repair - it would have to wait until my next trip out to the boat. :cool:

Hey, that's great! Let me (ok, you can tell everybody) know how it goes. I'll pull the trigger on that in a heartbeat if it does the trick for you. It seemed to me to be one of those things you should just have - in case. Because if something happens I won't be in a position to be able to order it, get it, and effect a repair - it would have to wait until my next trip out to the boat. :cool:

I got the kit, did the work, and took pics as I went. Hoping to get a few minutes to post it up this evening.

In a nutshell, it seems to have done the trick. I've just got to start doing some boating and see how the repair holds up at freeway speed.

Back