• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Moving from a 2013 212x to a 24 footer...thoughts

Paulie44

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hello out there. This is our 3rd summer with the 212x. She has been a great machine and we have added a ton of memories etc. We typically have 8-9 on our boat and at times I am pulling out my hair inside as I moving around the boat doing boat captain things. I am looking a moving to a 24 footer, specifically the 242x. Anyone out there made the same jump to the 24 footer from a 212? Also, the one thing I was noticing was the # of folks the new 21 footers hold. Mine is rated for 9. The new ones can hold 10. I am also trying to decide if the extra $25k is work the extra 2 people. Thanks for reading.

rrmidden

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Space is space, so the new 21' with capacity for 10, IIRC, just has the newer haul rated from more people, there isn't any actual extra space. So if you're cramped on a 21', then going up to the 24' would make sense. That being said, if you go from 8-9 people on a 21' to 10-11 people on a 24', you're still probably going to be cramped.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you look at the overhead pics, the 24' boats extra space is all in the bow. Just keep that in mind as it may not feel as roomy as you hoped. The bow is great seating for kids, but I don't think it's comfortable for adults unless they can stretch out their legs.

Paulie44

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If you look at the overhead pics, the 24' boats extra space is all in the bow. Just keep that in mind as it may not feel as roomy as you hoped. The bow is great seating for kids, but I don't think it's comfortable for adults unless they can stretch out their legs.
Thanks. I have heard that. Most of the adults hang out in stern. The bow has all our stuff. Usually only 2 ride in the front. They stretch out.

Paulie44

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Space is space, so the new 21' with capacity for 10, IIRC, just has the newer haul rated from more people, there isn't any actual extra space. So if you're cramped on a 21', then going up to the 24' would make sense. That being said, if you go from 8-9 people on a 21' to 10-11 people on a 24', you're still probably going to be cramped.
Such a problem I have. Lol. Well good points on the space. At times we have had 8 adults and that was right. The new 212s have the passenger seat where mine has the bench. Not sure if that is better or worse. Extra $$ is daunting as well. There is always the AR240 but I feel that it lacks all the cool stuff that I would want (larger bimini, ballast etc)

rrmidden

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Such a problem I have. Lol. Well good points on the space. At times we have had 8 adults and that was right. The new 212s have the passenger seat where mine has the bench. Not sure if that is better or worse. Extra $$ is daunting as well. There is always the AR240 but I feel that it lacks all the cool stuff that I would want (larger bimini, ballast etc)
My 2015 212X has the J-Seating/Bench as well, I think the J-Seating/Bench has more space overall. Maybe not more actual seating, but it just feels bigger with the Bench. One reason we haven't even contemplated upgrading is because of the dual seats versus the J-Seating/Bench. For our purposes, the bench is a much better layour.

Paulie44

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My 2015 212X has the J-Seating/Bench as well, I think the J-Seating/Bench has more space overall. Maybe not more actual seating, but it just feels bigger with the Bench. One reason we haven't even contemplated upgrading is because of the dual seats versus the J-Seating/Bench. For our purposes, the bench is a much better layour.
Agreed. We can fit two kids on the bench.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I have a 2013 SS and have been through this exercise a few times. I still have my 13 cause you dont get any more cabin space with the 24, as stated the extra room is mostly in the bow. Other thing to consider is the 24 is Much higher and bigger to maneuver on the trailer, putting in and taking out. I dont leave mine in the water and the 21 is easy enough to do in and outs with and trailer with no problem.

Paulie44

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have a 2013 SS and have been through this exercise a few times. I still have my 13 cause you dont get any more cabin space with the 24, as stated the extra room is mostly in the bow. Other thing to consider is the 24 is Much higher and bigger to maneuver on the trailer, putting in and taking out. I dont leave mine in the water and the 21 is easy enough to do in and outs with and trailer with no problem.

I agree. I’m an old pro with that trailer as I’m sure you are. Might gone out 19 212X. Still deciding. This is my argument every season!

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Its probably different for everyone but we put in and take out every day with our 242x. I doubt they make much difference but its all based on comfort with your rig. ;)

rrmidden

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Its probably different for everyone but we put in and take out every day with our 242x. I doubt they make much difference but its all based on comfort with your rig. ;)
Agreed, if you are decent at loading/unloading a 21', you'll be fine with a 24'. My wife and I were old pros the last few years, no problems launching and retrieving. That being said, it's great having the boat on a lift now. Walk down to the pier, hit a button on an App with my phone, and we're out on the lake. So easy, so nice.

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Agreed, if you are decent at loading/unloading a 21', you'll be fine with a 24'. My wife and I were old pros the last few years, no problems launching and retrieving. That being said, it's great having the boat on a lift now. Walk down to the pier, hit a button on an App with my phone, and we're out on the lake. So easy, so nice.
Oh heck yeah! If I could get in a slip by our camper I would do that in a second!

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Im just saying for the lack of true increase in cabin space the difference in manageable size is not worth it. Especially when Im putting in myself