• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

MR1 Temp & Oil Sender- Dummy Lights only?

shaung

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
....or can we install a GAUGE to them?

Or do we need to replace with a different Sender unit for that?

the temp thermo switch in particular is used by the computer to cut out the engine to save it from melting away in an overheat. I do not suggest trying to read the sensors directly with your own wiring for fear of what your observation will do to the computer read out, but if you are careful and know your electronics I'm sure you could pull it off. The service manual has some data on what the sensors do at different temperatures.

After an unexpected overheat and my disappointment at the lack of warning for an overheat, I installed some additional temp sensors in the water flow, and I taped with silicone tape a sensor to the oil filter and another to the exhaust manifold. I have had occasion where I can see the temps are higher than expected, due to either weak waterflow when rinsing, or debris stuck in the pump.

The oil pressure switch is just on/off too, not much value to be gained there I don't think.

If you want pressure and temp for oil, you could install an oil filter "header" or "Spacer" where you can add all those sensors yourself.

Something like this will do

OK so that was easy; thanks BeachBummer. I'll leave the originals alone and install additionals and leave the computer alone!

Back