• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Multiple Battery Question and Trolling Motor

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am trying to work this all out while the batteries I purchased are coming in. Hopefully it will make sense.

1 battery for starter and house. This is the battery that came with the boat.

2 NorthStar NSB-AGM24M Batteries (On Order)

The Idea was, is that I would just put in the two Northstars Now and remove the existing battery. Throw in my blue seas switch and Promariner charger and I am good to go.

The plan, possibly is to put in a trolling motor, not sure, will see how things go, But if I do it would probably be the MinnKota 80# 24v, 60" shaft. So if I do that, I would then just wire the two Northstars in a Series and put the Starter House batter back in or get another one that is a bit better.

My question is, In an emergency or if my Starter/House batteries dies can I start the boat of the 24v system through a switch. Or would I just need to either buy another battery as a second house/starter OR basically unwire the two Northstars out of a series and just connect one so I can get up and running and back to port?

As a additional question. I have the 20 Amp 3 bank Promariner charger that will be installed in the boat. If I have the two Northstars in a series, does it require 1 bank or 2 banks to charge both batteries? Of course one bank would be for the starter/house battery.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated, I am out of my comfort zone with this specific stuff.

Amazon.com: ProMariner 44021 ProSportHD Series Battery Charger - 20 Amp (Plus): Automotive

Amazon.com: NorthStar NSB-AGM24M AGM Marine Battery 840CCA 1000 CA/MCA: Automotive

Dumbassbass

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Port Clinton, Ohio - Western Basin Lake Erie
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Q1-I would always suggest separate batteries for the trolling motor. Using batteries in series to make 24 volts it is technically possible to connect to just one of those 12 volt batteries for 12 volt use however by depleting one of the batteries will shorten the life of the other paired battery.
Q2-With a multi (3) bank 12 volt charger you would connect one bank to each of the batteries in your 24 volt configuration. Keep the 3rd bank on that separate starting battery.
I am using 3= LiFePO4 (huge longevity of power, not a ton of weight) batteries dedicated to my 36volt trolling motor as well as: 1=starting battery and 1=house battery able to emergency jump to each other

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes I as thinking just 1 starting/house battery and the two Northstars in Series for 24v which would be seperate. My only thought was if I deplete the House/Starting battery for some reason. I don't really want to carry 4 batteries. But would like to be able to start the engine off one of the two for the trolling motor to get back to port.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Dumbassbass Which LiFePO4's are you using? They get pricey fast, I have been looking at those.

Dumbassbass

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So the short answer is yes, you can jump from "one" of the batteries to your starting battery - easier with cables than trying to make a parallel connection with a switch between series wired batteries. Easier yet bring along a jump box

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I carry a NOCO jump box in the boat. Just trying to sort out possible scenario's just in case.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I carry a NOCO jump box in the boat. Just trying to sort out possible scenario's just in case.
Have you had to use your NOCO jump starter yet? I've been searching jump starters for a few months and can't pull the trigger. They all seem to have similar pros/cons. Any recommendation appreciated.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I haven't but I let someone use it at the dock one time when his I/O wouldn't start. He got it to fire up and it worked.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well Dakota just let me know that my batteries are going to be delayed till the end of May. Just called Battleborn and they are talking 3-4 weeks give or take. Spoke with a relative who uses the rebranded Relion LiFePo4 he purchased from Cabela's called Tracker Lithium and he says they work fantastic. The Price is right as well. Heading out now to pick up two of the 12v 60ah LifePo4's. 60Ah are $500 each. They use them in Bass Tracker's exclusively at Bass Pro Shops, hence the rebranding.

Tracker Marine Lithium Super High Output Lithium Deep Cycle Marine Battery | Bass Pro Shops

other_trackerLiFePObatteryinfo_tli60-tli80-tli100.pdf (scene7.com)

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got the 80Ah ones.
20210412_161140.jpg

Dumbassbass

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Well Dakota just let me know that my batteries are going to be delayed till the end of May. Just called Battleborn and they are talking 3-4 weeks give or take. Spoke with a relative who uses the rebranded Relion LiFePo4 he purchased from Cabela's called Tracker Lithium and he says they work fantastic. The Price is right as well. Heading out now to pick up two of the 12v 60ah LifePo4's. 60Ah are $500 each. They use them in Bass Tracker's exclusively at Bass Pro Shops, hence the rebranding.

Tracker Marine Lithium Super High Output Lithium Deep Cycle Marine Battery | Bass Pro Shops

other_trackerLiFePObatteryinfo_tli60-tli80-tli100.pdf (scene7.com)
Sounds like a plan, Dakota's only downfall for me was the ship time as well. They did come with charger's though.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the noco 4 bank 10amp gen 5 to do them all