• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My 212x dual battery installation

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I decided it would be good piece of mind to have a second battery installed by the dealer when I had my 212x in for the 10 hour service. They did a nice enough job with the Yamaha kit using the BEP DVSR and another lead acid deep cycle battery. However, once I got home I wanted to improve on it using a dual bank shore charger and then it went on from there...

Started with installation of a ProMariner ProSport12 charger. After looking around the interwebs at installation locations I settled on the port aft locker under my main battery switch. As the charger installation instructions cautioned against installing on carpet I had to fab some spacers. I used some 3/4 square aluminum stock from Home Depot, primed and painted:
IMG_0494.JPG

Here is the charger installed:

IMG_0496.JPG

You might notice that the main battery switch is not stock. That's because I needed the BEP switch to create a cut off in the DVSR red loop, allowing "smart" charging when on the shore charger. I could not find a BEP switch at West Marine so got the Blue Sea and swapped them.

Here is the DVSR pre-mod:

IMG_0477.JPG

Here is is with the BEP switch installed. Seems overkill but looks very nice and I saw from the interwebs that several people have done this:

IMG_0478.JPG
DVSR installed, as well I installed battery boxes in place of the dealer installed trays. Feels much safer that way given I may throw some stuff in that locker and I now have the terminals covered.

IMG_0510.JPG

To make it easy to connect the shore charger I installed a NOCO pass thru, first hole in the boat!

IMG_0489.JPG
It didn't take long to get to the second hole, installed trolling motor plug to use with my Airhead pump. This handles 40A so should cover the 28A for the pump. This became necessary withe the battery boxes and besides will make it nicer to use the pump underway:

IMG_0506.JPG

And finally for an unrelated mod but may as well add to the thread, my tower mounted (battery option) Navisafe adapter:

IMG_0513.JPG

So, all done and got the boat back in the water this morning and should be good on mods for the rest of the Summer, or at least until another good one comes up on JetBoaters.net!

Nicely done! What did you do to treat the inside of the holes?

Nicely done! What did you do to treat the inside of the holes?

Actually I was under the gun to get this done before some visitors showed up today for a boat trip...so I did not seal the holes (I was up way passed my bedtime twice this week working on this). I will seal the holes with some primer and paint next time I have the boat back in the garage. Being an interior surface and the receptacles both having a rubber gasket I am not too worried about some delay on the sealing.

I believe epoxy is the recommended consensus, according to another thread on here (where there was a discussion on what to use--thus my question). I have a hole I need to go back to with it myself... Also interior. <sigh>

Correction: Did it today (finally). A bit of a pain, but good to have it done. I got a syringe of epoxy from Lowes and put a bead around. Tried to spread it with a plastic scraper, but that made such a mess I finally just did it with my finger... Let it dry and put my sub back in.

How did you mount the Navisafe to the top of the tower?

I used the oven as per the included instructions to expand the base, slipped right on and is tight now.

Next up is my Seadek install as soon as we get a weekend above 60 degrees!

Back