• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My new best boat cleaning friend

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have tried countless products for waxing/polishing/cleaning my boats. Some worked fairly well, and some werent worth a crap. I finally stumbled on something that is amazing. It completely polishes the fiberglass, removing the brown water stains along the water line. But more impressively, it takes ALL water spots off and even polishes out minor rub marks. AND, because it is not a marine product, it doesnt cost an arm and a leg. It is called Bar Keeper's Friend. My wife uses it to clean bathtubs, countertops, and other items that need to be polished, but cant take anything abrasive. Here are 2 pics....the first is after I used a couple of other products. They actually did a pretty good job and from 3 feet away, the boat looked great. BUT...if you looked very close you could see the left over water spots. 3 feet is not good enough for me! Simple to use....apply with a damp sponge....not a lot of rubbing, wash it off and dry it. I then put on a coat of wax.....

20190215_160752.jpg 20190215_160806.jpg

Screenshot_2019-02-16-08-36-01.jpg

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've seen it mentioned in a lot of boating forums but I've never tried it or really looked at it working.

This guy, who btw looks like Private Pyle from Full Metal Jacket lol, did a little video and ....wow is all I can say! That stuff looks like a winner!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is that stuff the same as comet cleaner?
That’s the first thing I thought of when seeing it work. Add water and let the gritty paste work. Ah the smell of that as a kid when my parents made us clean the ole tub :D

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
But doesn't the abrasive powder in the stuff act more like a polishing compound than a true cleaner? (Use it in our kitchen sink all the time. BTW)
I'd be worried that it takes off too much gelcoat by abrasion to use it regularly - for the same reason that I wouldn't use a polishing compound on the hull every time. Just when there are some light surface scratches to get rid of...

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That’s the first thing I thought of when seeing it work. Add water and let the gritty paste work. Ah the smell of that as a kid when my parents made us clean the ole tub :D

Same here... no cleaner like it...

Attachments

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I've seen it mentioned in a lot of boating forums but I've never tried it or really looked at it working.

This guy, who btw looks like Private Pyle from Full Metal Jacket lol, did a little video and ....wow is all I can say! That stuff looks like a winner!

This is the same except what I used was the liquid version. It is non abrasive and works exactly as you see in the video with very little effort.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is the same except what I used was the liquid version. It is non abrasive and works exactly as you see in the video with very little effort.
Oxalic-acid?
That would make sense. Need to look into it!

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
They sell it everywhere... Amazon, Walmart, Lowe's.......

Rlc1z

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I looked at both the powder and liquid last night at Walmart and I think it is abrasive! It said to use in the same direction as the brush finish. Their web site says micro-abrasive! Just saying be careful with it.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I looked at both the powder and liquid last night at Walmart and I think it is abrasive! It said to use in the same direction as the brush finish. Their web site says micro-abrasive! Just saying be careful with it.
Absolutely. As I pointed out, the key ingredient is oxalic acid, which is fantastic in and out of the hull, also the active ingredient of Salt Away, most Hull cleaners, etc etc. Good stuff. But you definitely do not want any abrasive in there, whatever the brand name.
I believe @captras used a liquid, non abrasive, formulation.

--

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Absolutely. As I pointed out, the key ingredient is oxalic acid, which is fantastic in and out of the hull, also the active ingredient of Salt Away, most Hull cleaners, etc etc. Good stuff. But you definitely do not want any abrasive in there, whatever the brand name.
I believe @captras used a liquid, non abrasive, formulation.

--
To clarify.....I did use the "Soft Cleanser" version. However @Rlc1z is correct in that even this version does have a mild mineral abrasive, in addition to oxlic acid. They do have a version called "More" that is a spray and has no mineral abrasion listed in the ingredients. Before using it I did a test spot and did feel the product in my hand and did not really notice much, if any abrasive quality. I have felt more in certain brands of polishing
compounds.

I applied it using a damp sponge. A little goes a long way. I wiped it on....very little pressure or strokes....let it sit and rinsed it off. There was no color residue on the sponge, no dulling at all, and no swirl/rub marks in the gelcoat. It left a smooth, clean, mirror like finish. I did my entire boat in about 90 minutes, with very little effort or "elbow grease" :) After, I then waxed with a quality wax.

In my excitement to mention this product, I probably should have said more. It is not something I would use on a weekly basis, and not something I would use on an electric polisher. But for your annual/semi annual cleaning it seems to be the best I have found. It is good to get other members thoughts and opinions......makes me look back to reaffirm or quash my enthusiasm :)

Rlc1z

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I didn't see were it said non-abrasive on the bottle? Maybe I missed it,I'm kind of a goofball,lol.:pompus:

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I didn't see were it said non-abrasive on the bottle? Maybe I missed it,I'm kind of a goofball,lol.:pompus:
As I said, it does say in the ingredients that it has a mineral abrasive.....the "More" version has no abrasives in the ingredient, but you are correct in you statement about abrasives....I was incorrect.

dadofral

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We use this stuff all the time for cleaning stainless steel parts at our fab shop, it's pretty amazing stuff.