• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My stupid questions thread

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ok...

How do you check the fuel level in float mode? Such as in the driveway on the trailer before you head out for the day.

When hanging out on the water with the engines off, which key do you turn on (port or starboard)for listening to music, etc.

...and don't worry, there will be more questions :)

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Prior to 2015, the starboard key activated the ACC and ECM. My guess is it is the same. But on that new fangled boat, I am not certain how you access the fuel gauge! The stereo is generally wired to the battery switch direct without passing through the ignition, so that you can play the stereo when the boat is at rest. Turning off all battery switches will kill the stereo however. No such thing as a stupid question!

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks txav8r. I don't think the connext, which is also the radio, will come on unless at least one key is on. I'll try just the starboard key to see if it will show the fuel instead of volume. I thought I tried that yesterday, but I tried a bunch of stuff so maybe not.

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
My 2012 either key show me fuel level and all other info..... I think,, I am pretty sure. but they don't stay on very long without starting the engine. But now that I think about it when thy are shut off is the only time I never watch the gauge go down so maybe not,, I am not 100% sure now...lol..so to solve the problem, just fill it up on the way to the lake, at 24 gallons an hour you can pull a tube for a solid hour, rest for an hour then one more hour of continuous screaming,, but make sure your back at the dock in 3 hours..

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
WOW, @Trm1765 , remind me not to get on tube behind you! lol You don't really pull tubes at WOT I am guessing, and your fuel mileage at cruise and at water sports speeds will be significantly less than at WOT. As you can see by the below chart, you will be between 4500 and 5000 rpm's for most watersports, and be burning 8.7-9.2 total gallons per hour. At cruise settings, a respectable 37mph, your only burning 11.5 gph, and getting the top distance per gallon, 3.26 miles per gallon, and that is at 6000 rpm's.
Screen Shot 2015-04-26 at 10.14.21 AM.png

I don't want to mislead you @McMark , I don't know that connext system at all. Seems counter intuitive to have to turn on a key to get the stereo on but I don't know that for sure. Maybe there is a key position they have designed for that, like ACC. On mine, if I don't start it, I too have to look quickly in key on in ACC, because whatever is displayed clears quickly. At least now depth won't be a position I leave it in, the Garmin is installed!

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you press and hold the button with the bulb symbol underneath the connext screen for app 3 seconds it will power it up and stay on until you turn it back off. To turn off press and hold the same button. The connext system will come on without either key in the run position.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Craig,

Thank you very much!! Even the salesman didn't know the answer to that one. I have always just had the blowers on or one of the engines in the "ON" position.
I look forward to not having to drown out the blower now.

@McMark, to see your fuel level while on the trailer just turn one of the engines to "ON". It will show you the fuel level. However I ALWAYS fill it up after a day on the water to decrease any "open space" for moisture to creep into.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got to play around with the connext a little tonight in the driveway. All is good except that I cannot view the fuel level. I tried keys both separately and both on. All I get is the volume display and float mode. Man, I'd rather have the fuel displayed at all times. I could care less about volume display.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@McMark - I'm not near my boat but I'm sure if you turn the motor keys on (at least one) and also place the Connext on the second screen, "trip info" I believe, that it will show the fuel level. I got it to do it Sunday, however I'm trying to remember the exact procedure. I do promise you it is possible though.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks Bennie. I will try again tonight. the connext reminds me how much I dislike menu driven devices. Click this, pull the knob toward you, turn the knob, click the knob. I'll take a switch any day.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bennie

Still no good. Now I have more questions.
The connext will only work if both the house and starting batteries are on. If one of these is off, the connext wont come on. That's odd to me. When I originally looked at the boat at a boat show, it only had one battery in it and the connext worked on one battery then. I'm getting frustrated and haven't even had the boat in the water. I'm not talking about the emergency combine switch.

Anyone with some insight?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@Bennie

Still no good. Now I have more questions.
The connext will only work if both the house and starting batteries are on. If one of these is off, the connext wont come on. That's odd to me. When I originally looked at the boat at a boat show, it only had one battery in it and the connext worked on one battery then. I'm getting frustrated and haven't even had the boat in the water. I'm not talking about the emergency combine switch.

Anyone with some insight?
Your missing the ground wire between the two batteries.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I will check in the morning to see how you check fuel level while in float mode.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The ground wire is there. That was the first thing checked :thumbsup:

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @Williamsone46

The only thing I can't get at this point is fuel level to show while on the trailer.

Thanks for everyone's responses. -Mark

scubarick314

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tried several things to check the fuel level during float mode. The only way was to have an engine running. I also wish there was a way to check to make sure before heading out.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I checked this morning and the only way I was able to check it was to turn the key for a sec. and it displays it. You don't have to start it.