• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My suggestion for an oil filter wrench:

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought this wrench at Home Depot in the spring expressly for changing the filters on my Yamaha. It looked a little gimmicky but I figured it was worth a try.

After several oil changes on different engines, I can tell you that I am VERY pleased with it.

This wrench has worked on every size filter I've encountered. I have used it on my boat, riding lawn mower, my Expedition, and just today my Traverse (what a pita it is to access THAT filter). It has worked great for me. No more worrying about the size of the wrench, just expand it, slip it on, and it will size itself to the filter.

It's a Husky, 3-Jaw, Universal Oil Filter Wrench. It gets my stamp of approval.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks for the tip.....I'm going to check this out!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great find @biglar155. Not too often you can find a "one size fits all" in the automotive/boating industry.

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
X2. I have the same thing. I bought this one after trying out other size specific wrenches that were either slightly too big or small.

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use these, they work very well. For me, they were much easier to use than the wrench mentioned above. Called Oil Filter Pliers...image_17544.jpg

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I prefer the screwdriver jammed through the filter with resultant oil spill. :)

xoomer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I never had much luck with the oil filter wrenches if the filter was on too tight but the strap wrench works pretty good--and it works on anything round without damaging the piece you are working on.

strap wrench.jpg

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used those Pliers above when I was in the AF, works great on all sizes if you have the room to get to them. Same with strap wrenches like the one above. What I used the most is a strap socket, works like the strap wrench but is a socket, the one I had was a 1/2" drive. I never saw a filter that I had trouble getting to with that, either used like a normal strap wrench with the ratchet or used several extensions for tight places.

GearWrench 3529D Heavy Duty Oil Filter Strap Wrench, 3/8" or 1/2" Drive https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B2LV4DS/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_HfL9vb4B9HX0C

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sorry to bring a old post back but I tried the Husky filter wrench and while it worked good to loosen it, you can't use it to tighten the filter. I'm looking for something like below that will fit the 69J-13440-01 Yamaha OEM filter. Can anyone help me find it?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002INRCV2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Yamaha does have the OEM filter wrench similar to above but I can't find the one for 69J.
http://www.tmsparts.com/4987921g-oil-filter-wrench-for-3fv-and-5gh-yamaha-oil-filter.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=4987922&gclid=Cj0KEQjwhtO7BRCtwuO9gfTH-fQBEiQAdJ8FY25m1ZhweIuWvkQg5xvDtutEenFkkpmUJxzYj1MVNawaAtzE8P8HAQ

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You do not need to torque a filter at all. That is the o-rings job. Just get filter to seat, where you can not turn it by normal pressure and add another half to three quarters turn and it is set. The hardest filter to get off should be the first one. But no need to tighten with any kind of wrench or anything.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@2nazt Thanks for letting me know. I knew I didn't want to tighten it too much but I thought I needed to tighten it more than just with your bare hand. I wasn't sure if it would come loose over time if it wasn't. Thanks again for the info.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@dansshin no worries! That's the best part of this site I think is the the knowledge and helpful people here

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Here is another idea: got this at Home Depot or Lowes, comes in two sizes and relies on friction from the rubber belt. I used it recently during my oil change and it worked great.

image.jpeg