• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

My tow rig

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here's a few pics of my 2010 Ford F-150 FX2 SuperCrew with tow package. I have never towed anything with it while having the 305/40/r22 tires and 22" x 9.5" wheels on it and I was wondering if there will be any issues doing so? I have the factory 18" wheels and tires still but I'd rather not have to use those just for towing purposes. Any thoughts on it? When I swapped wheels an pd tires of course my MPG took a hit going from Ana average of 20 MPG to 16 MPG lol. What can I expect when towing a 24' Yamaha?

This truck has been pretty good to me since I bought it back in 2012 with 26k miles on it. Today she has just over 109k miles due to my work commute being about 140 miles round trip. Only issue the truck gave me was the transmission had to be replaced under warranty around 48k miles or so. Can't remember the cause of the issue but I remember it spraying tranny fluid and lots of surging and rough shifts. Everything has been fine since the replacement.

Current mods are 35% tint on driver and passenger fronts, Fosgate Punch 300.1 amp, single 10" Image Dynamics IDQ sub, Fox underseat stealth box and a TonnoFold soft cover. I also installed the 2013 OEM Ford HID headlights to update the truck exterior a little.

frontwheelsside_zps3ab09f8c.jpg

frontwheelsface_zps89ac65f2.jpg

frontwheelsangle_zpse8cc5add.jpg

frontwheels_zps2a92f6bf.jpg

Last edited:
Are you certain you have that many miles on it? It looks new! Sharp truck!
Maybe the wheel size affected the odometer....:confused:

Anyway, I don't "think" those tires will make that much of a difference towing vs. not towing. How do I they grip on slimy launch ramps? That would be a concern.

As for pulling the boat, shouldn't be an issue. You have the tow package, I'll guess you have the 5.4 V-8?
Should pull fine.:cool:

I chose this wheel and tire size so that is was close to the same diameter as my stock 18" wheels and 'baloon' tires were so that the speedo and gearing wouldn't be as affected. I'm not sure if our computers calibrate themselves or not but I had a wife follow me on the roads and interstate and we both indicated the same speed. I just drives lots of miles daily and it adds up I'm afraid lol.

I haven't tried driving on a ramp yet to see how traction is but I did get caught in a freak snow / ice storm and these are summer / performance tires. Grip was non existent lol but it wasn't that bad to be honest.

Thanks for the compliments. It needs a new windshield due to cracks now but I'm surprised how well the paint has held up over the years. It's too big to fit in my garage so it has always lived outside in the elements. Yea it has the 5.4L and it needs the plugs changed soon which is going to suck since these have a tendency to break off in the motor and you have to spend like $150 on some "special tool" a guy has made to remove the broken spark plugs on these motors. Apparently the ones closest to firewall are a real pain so I will find out once I heal up completely from my surgery.

Sweet ride!!! I like the look of your HID's You can always drop it in 4 wheel low if you get jammed up on the ramp.

Thanks! It's a 2WD truck though so that might be an issue lol. When I got caught in the ice storm I found that putting it in 2nd gear for starts saved my ass a lot of the time, so I guess I could try that if traction was an issue. The local ramp is fairly steep and has big grooves. It's been years since I've been down to it though so I don't know how well the condition of it is now. I suppose I could drive there during the week for some test drives up the ramp. I'm sure someone will be like "wtf is that guy doing with no trailer" though :D

Thanks! It's a 2WD truck though so that might be an issue lol. When I got caught in the ice storm I found that putting it in 2nd gear for starts saved my ass a lot of the time, so I guess I could try that if traction was an issue. The local ramp is fairly steep and has big grooves. It's been years since I've been down to it though so I don't know how well the condition of it is now. I suppose I could drive there during the week for some test drives up the ramp. I'm sure someone will be like "wtf is that guy doing with no trailer" though :D

My mistake I thought it was a 4x4 badge on the bed. The steepness of the ramp will mean nothing without the weight of a boat behind you.

Great looking truck.
Good luck with the spark plug change. I have been down that road. Make sure you get a hold of the TSB on it before you start. There is specific procedures to follow to lessen the chance of breaking one. And DO NOT use anti-seize on the plugs.

Nice lookin' rig @haknslash !:thumbsup:
You shouldn't have any trouble towing a boat with it since your total tire diameter is still stock so the calibration is the same. Your mileage will drop to around 10 mpg give or take. Your speed will also dictate how good or bad your mileage is too. I wouldn't tow anything till you change the plugs. Those should help your mileage a little for a while too.

Back