• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My turn at stupid

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
4th season with my boat and I finally sucked up a rope. I was tinkering around the dock all day and forgot a rope hanging from my middle cleat. Putting around the river channel and suddenly something sounded very weird.. The rope was pulling very tight from the cleat.... Oh #*#*#....I knew instantly what I did. Shut engines off, pulled clean out plug and had rope out in about 1 minute.. Didnt even get wet...Very lucky...

Same thing happened to me the first time out with my new boat. Except I had no idea (then) how to get the rope out. Fortunately, it hasn't happened since.

I did it ONCE...It's a lesson you learn only one time.

I did it Once as well in my 2nd season with the boat. I was at idle waiting for the kids to get back on the tube when my engine died. Eh? Oh CRAP! It was wrapped tight around the impeller shaft. I ended up having to cut the tow rope to get it out. But no damage except to the rope. I watch the rope like an Eagle now.

Yep, I know that yours was purely by accident and it sounds like you corrected it pretty quickly.

I try to detach and stow all lines before heading out. some guys will leave them attached to a cleat and pulled inside while under way, but the consequences on jet boats are way too high if the rope finds its way over the side and gets sucked up.

Glad that it didn't ruin your day!!!

I am glad you got it out and no damage to anything!

I did it ONCE...It's a lesson you learn only one time.

I have never sucked up a dock line, but I have sucked up the tow line, um..., several times. Responsibility of course lies with me and not watching that carefully enough while trying to do something else (like avoid someone fallen off a tube or a downed skier--which I thought was more important at the time). But I wish once were enough for me... <sigh>

I think the biggest pointer I have learned is that if you have a tow rope deployed and you attempt to back up, you are probably making a mistake... unless someone is actively managing the line and pulling it up for you.

Back