• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Myrtle Beach, SC

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So tonight I was informed that next April we will be going to Myrtle Beach with kids for a week. I was so excited, till I was informed we are not taking the boat. We will drive the 16 hrs and just do things there. Bummed out a bit, wanted to put the boat in the ocean/inlets at least once. The Admiral was very direct and firm on this point.

Anyone who lives down there or has been boating down there, have any info that I can use to make my case to tow the boat down? Trying to make a case for it and the fun factor. Not really sure how to sell it. We are staying at a condo on the beach somewhere.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Heading to redneck riviera I see? My wife loves myrtle beach. Me not so much. I will go to murrells inlet once a year, though. Which is like 20 mins south of MB. I've asked around before and didn't get much of an answer in the way of good boating. Could stop in NC on your way down. Tons of good places off the ICW to visit.

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Specifics of why the veto of the boat?

Dealing with the towing that far? Gas mileage impact?

Would rather sit on the beach and not on the boat?

She doesn’t want you to get eaten by sharks???

That is a long way to tow. You could probably rent a boat for a 1/2 day or 2 waverunners for an hour for what the additional costs just for additional fuel costs (and boat permit costs if required for SC)?? But yeah that’s a bummer....

IvanRZB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Would be interesting to hear what her objections are..

It took me a few tries to convince management to take the boat to the coast. She had a few concerns that were mostly around safety towing a long distance (under 200 miles), knowing how to navigate the waterways, and deal with rougher water than we're used to. I tend to over-prepare for things anyway so I made sure to keep her up to speed on the precautions, contingencies, backup plans etc., and she eventually felt comfortable enough to go along with it. We also agreed not to get out into open water but rather stay in the ICW and around inlets. Once we did take a trip out there with the boat she was hooked and asked why he hadn't done it sooner (!??!).

Having said all that, towing from MI to SC is quite a trek and might be in the realm or renting a boat locally instead. We live in North Carolina and I don't think I'd take my own boat to Myrtle anyway--too many chances for some drunken yahoo to ruin our day.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
She doesn't want to be tied to the boat. Doesn't want to be on the boat a lot. Doesn't want to deal with it. Would rather do non boating things. She is not sure how much fun they would have. What if it rains or the wind and waves are too strong, then we towed the boat all that way for nothing. The list goes on.

BradGoins

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I think it all depends on where you are looking at staying. Are you looking at saying in a hotel or house right on the beach? What tyoe of vacation is she looking for (more tourist or relaxing sit on the beach)?

With that said, I'm not sure I would take my boat to Myrtle but the answer would change if I were staying at one of the southern NC beaches (Ocean Isle, Sunset, etc.). Both have houses right on the waterway with docks but still are 2-5 walk to the beach. They are about an hour drive or 2 hours by boat to Myrtle so you can see go down there a few days/nights.

I like the beaches in North Carolina way better... less of a crowd, lower key. cleaner!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
AirBnB Condo overlooking beach with pools. 1/4 mile or less from Boardwalk.

BradGoins

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I would agree with your wife. Probably not what you wanted to hear! Let me sell my perspective as an avid boating guy like yourself who had one of my favorite vacations at MB:
  1. Sometimes you gotta make her happy, it pays dividends! Cannot stress this one enough, that's why it's #1.
  2. If it were a lake house or a place that had a marina, definitely. If not, how many days you really gonna use it?
  3. Go on a deep sea fishing charter. Some of the best in the south! Can you say Calabash!
  4. We did a 1940's Waco bi-plane ride over the ocean and beach, awesome! Bucket list level shit!
  5. Did you say golfing? You should have! Great courses, check out Barefoot, they have several.
  6. Beach, beach, beach. Watch out for sharks, one of the largest sharks caught on a rod and reel was off that pier at North MB in the 60s. 1780lbs!
  7. Loads of stuff to do that kids like!
My point is, you take the boat, you feel like you have to use it. If you're like me, towing all that way to use one day would probably make you mad. There is so much to do there it may limit your other experiences. Hell, rent a boat for a day!

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
My personal opinion is The NC beaches and Hilton Head and light years better than Myrtle, but that's just my opinion.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
She has never been to Myrtle Beach, nor the kids, so it is on her bucket list. We would be going in April next year. We are driving as well. I haven't been to Myrtle Beach since 1990. (Yes I am 52).

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
She has never been to Myrtle Beach, nor the kids, so it is on her bucket list. We would be going in April next year. We are driving as well. I haven't been to Myrtle Beach since 1990. (Yes I am 52).
I hope the 52yr old women there dont recognize you.....that could get awkward :oops:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No that was on my first marriage and our sue do honeymoon. Not pot to pee in or a window to throw it out of back then. Just remember sitting at a bar off the boardwalk splitting a beer and a piece a pizza since we couldn't afford much.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
+1 on doing a charter over taking the boat.

I really wanted to take the boat to Hilton Head Island this year, but it wouldn’t payoff for a family trip. Too little use, too much expense. Now if it were a friends thing and you wanted to fish and golf every day...

BradGoins

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sounds like you are set on Myrtle.

I would recommend Kingston Plantation. They have condos there with access to pools and beach. However, if you are going in April you may want to look for a place with an indoor pool or double check that the pools would be open at that time. It's located between Myrtle and North Myrtle near Barefoot and the Tanger Outlets.

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
April could be a bit chilly still! +1 on something with an indoor pool! Good thing is it won't be miserably hot! Good golfing weather though.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Keep her happy. I had to learn to keep weekend life in balance despite a near addition with the boat. I could tell when I was pressing too hard and after a few times conceding the resistance improved. We use it a lot; but I had to value other priorities as she valued mine. We ended up using it more and more and doing bigger trips too. The Coast of Carolinas has some great places to boat. I did like Murrell’s Inlet, love Charleston to Hilton Head, Outer Banks was awesome and there’s lots in between. Myrtle is not a place I would take my boat though.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well the time has come. We are heading out this weekend for the drive down to Myrtle Beach. All I can really think about is getting back and working on Mounting the trolling motor and chart/plotter. At least I have something to look forward to when I get back beyond yard work. Going to be in high 60's here in lower Michigan this weekend and all next week. So boating season has arrived! Walleye's are moving into the river with some steelhead and Salmon, can't wait to get out there. Two more weekends.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well the time has come. We are heading out this weekend for the drive down to Myrtle Beach. All I can really think about is getting back and working on Mounting the trolling motor and chart/plotter. At least I have something to look forward to when I get back beyond yard work. Going to be in high 60's here in lower Michigan this weekend and all next week. So boating season has arrived! Walleye's are moving into the river with some steelhead and Salmon, can't wait to get out there. Two more weekends.
Sorry to break the really bad news to you BUT it's only going to be in the 50s for the next few days on the SC beaches !! I have had in-laws there this week bundled up in hoodies ready to return to Ky. Hope it gets better for you SOON ?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@WildCatFan54 Thanks for the info. I saw that weather report on the cooler temperatures. Looks like it may be 70 or so by the first of the week. Already discussed it with the Admiral about postponing or canceling, but that was a non starter..... We are going! is what I was told. At the very least it will be out of the house and I do enjoy seafood and I have heard that it is pretty decent there. The place/condo we rented has an indoor pool indicated. Boat is staying home. We are pretty close to the board walk so I assume there are things to do and see. Perhaps places to drive to in short distance.

I am not a big beach person to begin with, sucks though for the Admiral and the kids.