• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need Advise - Long term investment

Ouch99

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
So I am new here.. Been lurking for awhile and have learned a lot from the members here. Was all set to get an FSH 210, (when I found out that Cali sucks and likes to ruin my fun :). So question for the forum. I live in NCAL and on the delta. Currently own a 2003 Searay 185s. Boat is okay. Fun to take out and fish and putz around on. However was looking to go bigger and center console. I am planning on moving to Hawaii 5 yrs from now and want to have my own offshore boat that I can go fishing with. So the question is.... Do I spend 35k and get a Ar190 and then sell and buy something there. Or spend more and go with a scarab open 255 ( yea I know that the scarab is not true offshore.) or something else?. Also at the 70k+ range would be getting close to some smaller offshores such as Robalo). BTW I would then just ship the boat to HI with my other toys in a container. (Not a great market on the big island for new or used boats)

Have been reading a lot about what makes. Good offshore CC... but I would also like to have the flexibility of extra seats , sun pads etc.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’d wait. Pinch some pennies and put some extra away in savings. Give it a year or two as people start unloading all these boats they bought this year and realize trailering, slipping, maintaining, making payments etc are things they don’t want to deal with. Market should be great for buyers. I’m willing to bet you can pick a really nice boat, just past it’s break in for steep discounts.

My novice opinion, some place like Hawaii you probably want a true off shore boat. My AR240 does fine off shore on calm days (I don’t go very far, or often, I don’t fish). Sure, some people go off shore frequently in these boats, and they do fine going to Bimini on calmer days. But a place like Hawaii that’s pretty much going to be exclusively open water, the fact you have a boat now and can save some money now, the potential for a great buyers market in a year or two, I’d bet you could pick up a smaller gently used twin outboard CC in your price range if you wait.

Ouch99

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Thanks for the advice. Good point about waiting. Maybe get a good deal later on, especially in the used boat market. Maybe when we get out of this current Pandemic situation it will cool down. Definitely leaning towards and reaching a bunch of true open water CC with dual outboards!