• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need Help...Buying a Used 2010 Yamaha 242 Ltd S

Jchard948

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hi All,

I need some help/advice Pls.

New to the Jet boat world here. We have been looking to get a boat for some time and we found a used 2010 Yamaha 242 Ltd S.

It's a freshwater boat located in lower Michigan which is about 4 hours away from where I live.

The boat has very low hours at only 38.

The boat is a 1-owner, and they purchased the boat from the current dealer back in 2010. They had the boat at their vacation home and it apparently never got much use based on the hours. They recently traded it in for a newer version to the same dealer they bought it from.

I've attached some pictures. I am hoping to go look at the boat this Saturday.

Anything in particular I need to look out for or pay attention to?

Thanks!

fullsizeoutput_48a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_48d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_485.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_487.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_489.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_484.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_486.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_488.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_48b.jpeg

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks fantastic. There is a FAQ. Check that out for what to look for when buying a boat. I would have the dealer check the hours on the boat. That seem aweful low for a 2010. Good luck and hope you get a good deal on this.

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
That's the oil cooler year. Probably needs the newer oil coolers.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Or at least oil cooler bolts right? Didn't they back out on some? I bet that boat has too few hours to have experienced it, so no damage as of yet. But it would be worth having them looked at prior. Otherwise, it should be rock solid and a good runner.

I'm amazed a person can own a boat for 9 years, put that few hours on, and trade for another one. You would think they got the hint that they are not boaters.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Search the forum for the oil coolers. If they bust it will be at around 100 hours so you likely won’t notice anything now. Good find. My 2010 has been bullet proof with nearly 400 hours... post oil cooler failure.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My oil coolers cracked and warped at about 100 hours. They were replaced under an extended warranty. The cost may have changed but about 5 years ago the cost was about $650 each, $1,250 each installed. Other than the bolts and seal, Yamaha only sells the entire unit not individual components. I recommend that you find out what kind of oil he used and use the same. My oil coolers failed after I transitioned to full synthetic oil, maybe it was just a coincidence but I don’t use synthetic oil anymore, especially now that my extended warranty has expired.

Jchard948

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks everyone for all of the input.

Question on the Oil Cooler...is the replacement a permanent fix? I’ve seen the repair kits and it’s comes to like $650/engine. Just thinking I might use this known issue to get some money off.

Ill be heading up tomorrow to check out the boat. Plan on doing a compression test and checking the fuel to ensure it’s not eating the fuel lines for sitting. I’ll check on the oil coolers as well.
Anything else I should check on let me know.

Thanks everyone much appreciated!!!!

Jchard948

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ended up buying the boat yesterday. Some minor cosmetics that I will take care of in the spring but everything checked out great. Compression was 190 across both engines. There was no info on if oil coolers had been changed but thats something I will do in future potentially end of next year.

Thanks for all of the help!

ross l

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Curious to know what the market price is for it in November December. Care to share? TY

Jchard948

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It was a 2010 Limited S with 39 hours. Picked it up for $29k.

Jchard948

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I searched for a long time and I couldn’t find anything near those hours for that price. I see 2012’s with 150-200 hours going to $35k-$40k all day long when I was searching

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I searched for a long time and I couldn’t find anything near those hours for that price. I see 2012’s with 150-200 hours going to $35k-$40k all day long when I was searching
Asking and getting are two very different things. Plenty of folks like to ask $40k for a 2012 that is truly worth no more than $30-32k

Jchard948

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah that’s what I’ve found. I think I got about $2k-$3k below value for the boat.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That’s a decent buy for sure, the 2012 will have slightly more value than our 10-11 models for the tip down tower and age