• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Need Help! <engine wont start >

kglass33

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hello,

I have a 2012 Yamaha 242s Limited. One of the engines won't start. It will turn over but wont fire up. I did replace the plugs in both engines. We took it out Sunday, our second time out this year as we live in Michigan. Both times I started it this year they fired right up. On Sunday we drove it around a few hours then anchored out to enjoy the weather. When I set out the anchor I put it in reverse to help set the anchor. I stupidly shut off the boat and left both throttles in reverse. When attempting to leave I tried to start it in reverse (not sure if this is a bad thing) realized what I had done I put them in neutral to start them and one engine will only fire up now. I have cleaned both ports out and made sure they are locked. I purchased a fire indicator to make sure it is getting spark(trying it tomorrow). We keep it at a marina but they aren't able to get to it for a couple of weeks. Hoping for some other trial and error ideas. I have seen problems with lanyard switches but mine only has 1.

Check your safety lanyard on the throttles. Could be tripping one of the 2 switches.

Check your safety lanyard on the throttles. Could be tripping one of the 2 switches.
there is only 1 switch. Unless there is something else I am missing?

Also on the swim deck, there are two safety switches under the hatch. Sometimes these need to be adjusted (turn up). to ensure they are engaged. You can test by having someone hold them both down while you fire up the engines one the trailer.

Also on the swim deck, there are two safety switches under the hatch. Sometimes these need to be adjusted (turn up). to ensure they are engaged. You can test by having someone hold them both down while you fire up the engines one the trailer.
one of the engines starts, so I assumed that neither would start if those sensors weren't working properly.

The lanyard can kill one motor or the other if not fully seated. There are two switches under the cover that is mentioned, one for each motor. Make sure it is in neutral.

one of the engines starts, so I assumed that neither would start if those sensors weren't working properly.

Not the case. There is a kill switch for each engine. I had an issue with one of mine and it needed to be adjusted.

Not sure about your vintage of boat. But on mine:

1. There’s one lanyard. But the plunger operates two separate switches. Each switch kills the ignition, not the starter. So one engine could fire and the other won’t if there’s an issue with one of the circuits. To eliminate this as the cause, pull the lanyard, exercise the switch, replace lanyard. If it still won’t start, find a way to get to the wiring and unplug both plugs and swap the connections. If the problem swaps to the other engine, the kill switch is bad on one circuit.

2. Cleanout port switches. Theres two different switches back there, one for each engine (on twin engine models). Again, each switch has two circuits. One circuit kills the ignition. The second circuit disables the starter. This prevents any chance of the impeller shaft spinning if a cleanout is necessary. Again, it’s rare, but there is a chance that one of the circuits could go bad. Thus the engine will turn over, but the ignition could be disabled. off the top of my head, Two things could cause this. First, slightly out of adjustment (one circuit working, the other not). Second, bad switch. To diagnose one that’s slightly out of adjustment, have somebody hold down the switches to confirm. If that doesn’t work, again, unplug the switch on the left switch and plug that wiring into the opposite switch. Keep in mind that there might not be a correlation of left switch being for the left engine, etc. If the problem swaps to the opposite engine, the problem is in the switch.

3. Ignition switches. There could be a short in an ignition switch. Guess what, again, you can simply unplug the wiring and swap the plugs to see if the problem goes to the other engine.

4. Fuel pump. Do you hear the pump build pressure when activating the ignition? If not, look for a blown fuse. if you have YDS, look at fuel pressure. If not, you could try to swap fuel pumps. But that is pretty involved.

5. Possibly a battery connection problem? Maybe a wire loose, etc. Have you recently changed the battery?

Anyway, good luck with your issue. Hope you figure it out.

[USERGROUP=9]@HELP[/USERGROUP]

good luck

no luck. Engine is getting spark. Guessing its the fuel pump. Going to wait for the Marina service dept. to look at it. Thanks for all the input.

This happened to the FSH195 - ended up being vaporlock. I put a bag of ice on the fuel lines for 20 minutes and it started right up. If the engines have been off for a few days it should start fine though.

It is 100% not the clean out port - engines don't even crank with the switch.

Could be lanyard, but most likely something with fuel.

Now I cant get either one to start. :(

No. Both batteries are fully charged. Both engines are getting spark. Has to be fuel related somehow.

Now I cant get either one to start. :(

The safety lanyard double switch is a likely culprit.

When that switch is tripped the engines crank but the spark plugs do not fire.

I would remove the switch and try starting the engines with the circuits open and closed then replace the switch if it is the issue.

Back