• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

need help on a general maintenance question on my Sugar Sands jet boat

Jim O

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Good morning, I have a recent purchase of a 2006 Sugar Sands Extreme, it has the 240 HP Merc engine. On the starboard side there is an oil reservoir, but in the manual it does not reference it, and I have a service manual that shows a diagram of the engine, port and starboard, but there isn't any info as to how I fill it, or what it is for. I assume its for the Jet drive. Can anyone explain what lubricant goes in it, and is there a fill level? I don't see a line on the tank, just a small fill hole. Please advise. Thanks! Jim

Attachments

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There is a primary and secondary oil reservoir for the 240EFI Merc SportJet.

The Primary is the oil tank that has a fill cap. It varies from boat mfg, but should hold at least a gallon if not two. These are mounted somewhere in the hull or engine bay with easy access. The secondary reservoir on the engine is filled by the primary tank. And you should not have to touch it. The motor will maintain that level.

The only other fluids you should be aware of are in the pump, and they should be changed annually prior to winter if you live in a cold state, as water many times gets in it. The pump oil and stator oil.

Good luck!

Jim O

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Thanks! So the large oil reservoir on the floor of the engine area, where I put the Quicksilver or Merc oil, also feeds that reserve oil reservoir? I see in the service manual I have a 3 gallon tank, that's on the floor, and a "reserve capacity" .94 quart," Is that the small reservoir I see on the side of the engine. I'm guessing that is the case. Appreciate it!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's possible, as the tank on the powerhead itself is about a quart. I am sure a sensor will give you an alarm once you hit the reserve. But yes, you should never have to fill the one on the engine.

On my X20 with 240 EFI, I had a 2 gallon main tank. That way, I could run it down to under half and know I could get a full gallon in and not have partial bottles laying around.

Good luck!

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
@biffdotorg is correct, reserve is filled from the main tank. Be sure you don't have air get into the reserve tank, it will trigger the low oil alarm which is 4 beeps every 2 min.[ also the same alarm signal for water in the fuel] You can purge air by cracking open the reserve tank ,start the engine and run till oil starts to leak out than tighten cap. Both the reserve and main tank caps must be tight for the system to function. Looks like you found a service manual, it is gonna be a huge help. That little Tango will fly with the 240, my son's will top 60 GPS, have fun