• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need some advice

Jeff Karlovec

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Good evening and Happy 4th of July! I am interested in purchasing a used jet boat but do not know anything about them. I want to teach my daughter to water ski and ever since we started talking about it last year we talk about it all the time and I want to start creating those memories. I like jet boats and don't want to spend a ton of money so I need to buy used. Without knowing what I'm looking at or what to look for I was hoping that someone can coach me on what to look for when buying one. I'm not the type to shop around and deal with people I don't know (it's a trust thing) and I don't want to get taken. If any trusting person can help me out I would greatly appreciate your time. Thanks and happy boating!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board,
where are you at? update you profile with your location, there may be a member close by to give you some in person guidance,
How much do you want to spend? 5-10k? 15-20K?
Have you ever owned /operated a boat before?
How old is your daughter? is there anybody else you'll be taking regularly?
How are you mechanically? could you change the oil in your car, have you ever changed spark plugs?

The answer to these questions will help find something that would fit your needs,

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome @Jeff Karlovec glad you found us. I agree with @Scottintexas, we would need more info to better help you spend your money. Also, your kid is going to want to wake board/surf/skate within a few years so start thinking that direction too ;)

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Where are you located?
ask for a test run or two from someone here!

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard. I was in your shoes not long ago. This is a great site to read and learn from, lots of friendly help to be found here.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome from me, also!

Yes, there is a lot of good info on the site. There is really no substitute for having someone who can answer your individual questions and find a boat that fits you. I agree with the others on the additional info we could use.

Again, welcome!

holidayshoreslsboater1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I have questions about my boat. Can someone help. I am new to this also

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome @holidayshoreslsboater1. Theres lots of folks here ready to help. throw your question up and someone will have some input. If its model specific, you might want to find your boats sub-group and post there for the other owners to see.

holidayshoreslsboater1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
what do I do if I mistakenly ran only one engine on my 2001 Yamaha ls 2000. Is it possible water into engine?i only was at no wake speed until I realized. It will now only run at 4k rpm eventually reducing down to 2-3k rpm while the other engine runs fine all the way up to 6000k rpm. What should I do? Might just take it to a boat repair

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Jeff Karlovec , welcome. You should definitely push for a test drive on the water. Also, you can post to the forum and you will probably find one of us in your area that can help to look the boat over for you. If you can't do this, you may want to go with buying from a reputable dealer. The additional money can be well worth it if they have looked over the boat, especially if they know these boats.

Even though you don't want to spend a lot of money, be prepared to spend more money once the boat is purchased. Boats break and the sooner you are prepared for that, the happier you will be. Simple things like gauges, bilge pumps, upholstery tears, etc.

Yamaha jets are a great choice but that can depend on what type of boating you are planning on doing and where you will be doing that boating. Good luck

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You've already made the wise decision to research and get advice form folks in the know. Lots of good people on here that will help you out a ton.

As for maintenance, you would be amazed at how reliable these things are. You won't be spending 1000's on things like water pumps, outdrive repairs, manifold, risers...etc...like the IO guys do. In the 5.5 years we had our 2005 AR230, (just sold it) I bet I didn't spend over 500.00 total on maintenance/repair things. And those were minor things that anyone with a few tools could handle themselves with the help of this site. Less that 100.00 a year is amazing in my book.

Good luck on your search.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
what do I do if I mistakenly ran only one engine on my 2001 Yamaha ls 2000. Is it possible water into engine?i only was at no wake speed until I realized. It will now only run at 4k rpm eventually reducing down to 2-3k rpm while the other engine runs fine all the way up to 6000k rpm. What should I do? Might just take it to a boat repair
@Julian can you move this post onto a new subject so he can get some advice?

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good evening and Happy 4th of July! I am interested in purchasing a used jet boat but do not know anything about them. I want to teach my daughter to water ski and ever since we started talking about it last year we talk about it all the time and I want to start creating those memories. I like jet boats and don't want to spend a ton of money so I need to buy used. Without knowing what I'm looking at or what to look for I was hoping that someone can coach me on what to look for when buying one. I'm not the type to shop around and deal with people I don't know (it's a trust thing) and I don't want to get taken. If any trusting person can help me out I would greatly appreciate your time. Thanks and happy boating!
Hey, welcome to the site.....I think. Where'd you go?:rolleyes:

So if I understand correctly, you don't trust people you don't know, but you post up here looking for a trusting person?
Cool.
You came to the right place. :winkingthumbsup"

o_O