• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need to replace 200HP Optimax Sportjet engine in 2006 Tango Xtreme

TangoXtreme2006

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
I am original owner of 2006 Tango Xtreme with 200HP Optimax Sportjet with 1100 hours on it.
After spending $3,000 to do a major service on the engine and replace wear-ring and impeller, the engine stopped on way back to my marina from the shop. Flywheel wouldn't turn. Mechanic came to diagnose today and found that oil was coming through seals under flywheel and a large broken metal part was visible looking into the air intake. He suggested that with 1100 hours on it, probably better to replace the engine rather tearing it down, diagnosing and repairing.

So I am wondering what my options are since Mercury no longer manufactures my engine? I would prefer not to get a used or remanufactured engine... I use the boat a lot and would like to buy something new. The pump is fine since wear-ring and impeller were just replaced... so I just need an engine. A 4-stroke would be super cool if possible... has that ever been done in a Sugar Sand? 20210705_083351.jpg

TangoXtreme2006

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
So apparently a 4-stroke is not possible.
Does anyone have a source for a new or remanufactured power head - Mercury 200 DFI M2 Jet Drive ?

TangoXtreme2006

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
For those of you that have replaced powerhead on your Tango, did you have any trouble removing the old powerhead / detaching it from the pump? What's the trick? My mechanic hasn't been able to get it apart and mercury didn't have any great advice.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sorry to read about your troubles. I had two boats powered by Mercury sport jets and loved them. Seadoo and euroline used them for a while. I’ve heard the blocked are all the same an interchangeable but never had engine problems like yours. @Bilmon has had several tangoes, maybe he will chime in with feedback soon.

drs1250

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
When pulling the motor you to get the front and rear studs to clear at the same time. So just using the lifting eye in the flywheel does not work, you need to lift from 3 points flywheel and from the top of each head. I removed a bolt from each stat housing and use that as lifting points.

drs1250

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The only way to use a 4 stroke is to have a custom shaft made from the pump to the powerhead,

Robert Smith

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Check power head bolt pattern, possible same as v/6 240 spotjet and cheaper