• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need your help with Decision

Mister Fister

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I recently replaced the factory head unit in my 2018 AR190. I wanted the ability to run a remote to the captain seat so I can control audio while driving. The 1st remote that I bought was one with a built in color screen but I didn't end up using that one as it was to big to fit under my Lowrance Ti2. I purchased the smaller (no screen) remote and that works fine. So here is my dilemma. Should I sell the other remote or should I mount it on the swim deck to use while in the water? It's too late for me to return it so I either sell it or use it. Problem is it requires I drill a 3" hole to mount it. I just keep thinking what if the remote dies and I cant find a replacement. I now have a 3" hole in the swim desk. What would y'all do?

Attachments

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Tough call. If you didn't put it on the swim deck, what would be the alternative control to put there? If you have an alternative, what would the minimum be you'd accept to sell? Maybe try selling it and if you can't get that minimum then you know its a use it or store it scenario. With so many bluetooth/wireless options I too find it difficult to put a 3" hole in the swim platform. If you do put a hole in there, how likely are you to get rid of this radio? There are always JB Net stickers or a new table holder to mount!

Mister Fister

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The problem I am running into is our popular spots on the lake have zero cell service so I cant easily stream music. Yeah, I can download it before hand but it alwasy sucks when I forgot to download it. Plus if I use my phone then the phone battery drains. What I do now is put a crap ton of songs on a USB drive and just let them cycle through. No more drained phone and no need for cell service. But the issue with that solution is now I can only control it from the boat.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Couple ideas.

Is it a Fusion head unit? I hear there is a smartwatch app for those. Perhaps that could be your secondary point of control?

For me......I would 100% install the new remote at the swim platform. I have a second remote that I intend to install on the platform this spring. I'm running the stock head unit and already have one at the helm and that was a huge improvement in itself, the second on the swim platform is coming. If that rear control fails, just put a table mount, or something else where the hole was.

Also consider an alternative location for the helm mount. Here's where I put mine.
1617043900371.png

Mister Fister

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's a Rockford Fosgate head unit. PMX-5CAN

That is where I originally wanted to put the remote but the remotes are too big to fit were you mounted yours. That is why I mounted it under the Lowrance.

EDIT: I just went out and re-measured and I think I might have been able to get it to fit there. DAMNIT!

Oh well. Live and you learn.

Last edited:

Mister Fister

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update:

I decided to test the remote before I cut the hole in the deck and good thing I did because the remote would not respond. The screen worked but non of the buttons worked. I called Rockford Fosgate and they worked with me on a replacement. The turn around was super quick and they sent me a brand new remote. I test it and it worked perfectly so I proceeded with thew install. It turned out great and I am super excited to have FULL control of the head unit at the swim deck.

IMG_1400.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg