• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Neutral Switch

Blake Fenton

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I've started having an issue over the last month with my Scarab 255 HO wake where if I turn the engines off they won't start...they don't turn over or anything. If I move the throttle to forward, and reveres enough and then back to neutral it will finally start and fire right up.

I have to assume that there is a switch or control of some kind that tells the computer that the boat is in neutral which allows it to start, and that that switch is going bad. Anyone know how to access that and/or how to check it? @ScarabMike

I can't comment on the neutral since I'm unsure of that one. But it's also entirely possible your relay(s) are having issues. The common symptom is the engine won't even try to start and it can be intermittent. But obviously if the neutral switch is an issue, that is entirely possible as well.

I would suggest approaching this problem from both sides. Get some replacement relay(s) in the mean time and change them to see if the problem goes away. If it does, then it was the relays. If it doesn't, then it's probably your neutral but you'll still have backup relays just in case (which you should have in your boat in case they fail in the future).

Many details can be found here: https://jetboaters.net/threads/rotax-owners-keep-this-handy.13017/

That's funny, I do need to check the relays, but have checked them/replaced them in the past to no avail. Haven't tried this time. But the reason I think it is the neutral is because it is always both engines and they both come back at the same time.

That makes sense. Hope you find the problem.

I have dealt with these switches on two other boats (but not your brand specifically. Seadoo and Yamaha) It's generally about opening up the neutral lever(s) and locating the switch, then finding an electrically equivalent switch. The boat manufacturers generally do not make electrical switches, these are repurposed from industrial commodity components.

If you are a little creative following this strategy will save you some money and time, but may require some cable splicing if the OEM solution has proprietary connectors/harness. (this is generally a piece of cake, just taking the old harness out of the old switch and splicing it into the new switch that is the exact same, except for the connectors.)

Best of Luck!

Pretty sure the switch you are looking for is behind the dash. There is a cable that runs from the throttle lever forward to the neutral/safety switch which is located behind and below the steering wheel. These can develop play over time. If I remember right, it’s fairly easy to adjust. The dash comes off pretty easily by undoing bolts from the underside.

Thank you @Beachbummer and @Winerocks ! I actually took it to a guy to have him look at it as I didn't know where to start but will let him know about your thoughts! I love this forum!

Thank you @Beachbummer and @Winerocks ! I actually took it to a guy to have him look at it as I didn't know where to start but will let him know about your thoughts! I love this forum!

im having the same problem with my boat, I move the throttle and starts right up. What did they find?

thanks

I took it to get looked at and they started and stopped it, moving the throttle and everything, more than 50 times and couldn’t replicate the problem. And since it is t throwing a code there was nothing for them to find. They checked connections and couldn’t find anything that was loose.

Back