• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New 190/195 AR with Jensen vs Clarion radio unit. Any issues with either?

Sugarcharged

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello folks, new here but have been reading these forums for the past couple of weeks and decided to join. Going from a pontoon boat 90 HP to a Yamaha AR in a few months likely. As I am investigating the AR190 vs. AR195 I noticed that the 2020s I see online are coming with the Jensen unit instead of Clarion. Any reasons to be concerned about that or both basically perform the same? The official Yamaha spec for the 190 / 195 AR calls for the Clarion radio unit. Thank you.

CaTiRo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm happy with the Clarion unit on my 2019. Is the Jensen unit on the newer boats considered an upgrade over the Clarion?

Last edited:

white2kstang

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know a few that people had issues with the Clarion on the 2019 but mine was great until I removed it during the winter this year. The Clarion as no option for a transom remote. Which is one reason I removed it and replaced with the Kicker KMC5. In my previous experiences in car audio Jensen would not be an upgrade against a Clarion product. JMO

Jetboater007

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I know a few that people had issues with the Clarion on the 2019 but mine was great until I removed it during the winter this year. The Clarion as no option for a transom remote. Which is one reason I removed it and replaced with the Kicker KMC5. In my previous experiences in car audio Jensen would not be an upgrade against a Clarion product. JMO
Hey dude, I also have the Clarion and am satisfied for a stock radio but would like better quality audio. Did changing to the KMC5 make a noticeable sound improvement?

toddaltpeter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Which is one reason I removed it and replaced with the Kicker KMC5. In my previous experiences in car audio Jensen would not be an upgrade against a Clarion product. JMO
@white2kstang - I'm looking at the Kicker KMC5 as well. Did it increase the volume as well. I don't want to be heard for miles, but I'd like it to at least be louder than the engine

white2kstang

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey dude, I also have the Clarion and am satisfied for a stock radio but would like better quality audio. Did changing to the KMC5 make a noticeable sound improvement?
No the upgrade to some JL M6 6.5 and the additional 2 6.5 and a sub with amps is what made the difference for me. The kmc5 offers more customization in regards to zone and sub output. It does offer more power and channels than the Clarion but I don't know how much better it'll be.

white2kstang

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@white2kstang - I'm looking at the Kicker KMC5 as well. Did it increase the volume as well. I don't want to be heard for miles, but I'd like it to at least be louder than the engine
Its a nice unit. It won't get you over the engine at cruise speeds. You'll need an amp at a minimum and probably a speaker upgrade to accomplish that well. The kmc5 does offer more power and channels so would be a good place to start.

I bought the kmc5 primarily because I wanted a transom remote and more zoned control/pre outs.

Adding two 6.5 speakers mid cabin made a huge difference in volume needed to hear underway.
Current setup: six 6.5 JL M6, two icon8 towers, JL 10TW3 sub in box. JL M800/8, WS Micro4, MB 400/1

DrCalculator

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
My stock Jensen has condensation, can't read the screen that well, but that hasn't been an issue, I don't look at the screen.

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
My Jensen had shown condensation early on when I bought the boat, was replaced under warranty and it has been 6 years since with no issues. I'm really just waiting until it goes bad to replace it with a Fusion MS-RA70.

DrCalculator

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
My Jensen had shown condensation early on when I bought the boat, was replaced under warranty and it has been 6 years since with no issues. I'm really just waiting until it goes bad to replace it with a Fusion MS-RA70.
Yeah, I guess I could get it replaced under warranty, but imo that is more trouble than it is worth. The tunes come out fine. My local rep has a waiting list so long you'd have to make a reservation now to get your NEXT boat in. Maybe by 2024 I could get them to take a look.