• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New boat hull gel coat issue?

Mjolsen74

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Have a question for some boater experts.. was washing boat this weekend and noticed that the front deep V Hull has gel coat missing/chipped.

Boat is one month old with 10 hours. 4-5 fresh water lakes and river days and 2 inter coastal days. All but one I’ve anchored in 4-6 foot of water and one day I was anchored but some fool drove over my anchor line at a beach and I had to “beach” it since I only had one anchor left. It was barely on a sandy beach (no rocks or shells) for about 2 hours.

I can’t imagine this gelcoat issue could be remotely related to that...? Took boat in for 10 hour service and showed them too.. of course they immediately say “oh you can’t imagine what we see from a “small sandbar” as if I did this.. they did end up saying they would check it and review with warranty ..

To me it looks like a potential gelcoat defect. What are y’alls thoughts?

Mike

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes sand is an abrasive and can cause those scratches you see all the way down the hull. The chips are likely from a rock hidden under the sand you hit while beaching. Don’t beach a boat unless you have a keel guard and even then I’m never a fan of beaching.

Saw so many boats beaches this weekend and I cringe at the thought of them just getting pounded by boat wakes and in general rough waters. Not worth it. These boats you should use the swim platform and put the stern facing the beach but not touching bottom and give the keel or rudder room to move up and down with the waves without touching bottom.

Mjolsen74

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes sand is an abrasive and can cause those scratches you see all the way down the hull. The chips are likely from a rock hidden under the sand you hit while beaching. Don’t beach a boat unless you have a keel guard and even then I’m never a fan of beaching.

Saw so many boats beaches this weekend and I cringe at the thought of them just getting pounded by boat wakes and in general rough waters. Not worth it. These boats you should use the swim platform and put the stern facing the beach but not touching bottom and give the keel or rudder room to move up and down with the waves without touching bottom.
that is exactly how I do it.. back up.. I can't imagine how sand could do that much "chipping" in two hours.. and trust me.. there are no rocks there where. No waves pushing or pounding boat. I am very protective of how I moor and anchor.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
and trust me.. there are no rocks there where
Oh yes there are, pebbles and sand will inflict damage like this very quickly.
It is possible there were voids under gelcoat that made is worse - this does look like more damage one would expect, but who knows.

That’s is why we do not beach these boats, the new FRP hulls are paper thin and scratch when you look at them.
The good news is - the boats are very light. And never rot because there is no core.

This looks like an easy fix with gel coat paste, since there was no serious structural impact.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Unfortunately that definitely looks like your doing. That's a lot of scratching on the hull too for only one time, so chances are there were quite a few stones and whatnot where you beached. Fix it up with a spectrum gelcoat kit and get a keel guard.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Fill in to cover the fiberglass, and throw on a keelshield. Then you won't have to worry about the color match of the fill.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Seal the area, then use some gelcoat repair. Cant tell for sure, but it looks like it would be covered by Keel Guard, or a similar product, so color is not an issue. I agree with the above though, I NEVER beach my boat. I do have the Keel Guard. Back it in to about 1.5-2 feet depth, anchor it, and not have to worry, even if there are some waves/wake to contend with. The Keel Guard takes some time and prep, but it is well worth it and they stand behind their products.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put keel guard on all my watercraft when new so that wont happen.
10 hours and the hull is that scratched up, yikes that was some beaching

Recoveringfiberglassaddic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I am with others on their takes, but there is one thing that is bothering me. The obviously sanded/scratched areas are a much light blue. Along the keel line is a much darker blue.
Maybe it's just the camera or the angle and light/exposure but to me it looks like keel was repaired(poorly) with a mismatched gelcoat. Possible it didnt release from the mold due to bad prep and was repaired at some point on the line. PURELY SPECULATION.

Just a thought/idea and would need more pics in better light to confirm, but to me that dark blue on the keel should look a LOT mor like the sanded light blue on either side of it. Also that guy that wants manufacturers to honor their warranty.

+1 for a KeelGaurd when its sorted out.