• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

New boat - need to store with shipping cover...help

Stan M

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Okay. Came back to find major pooling over my shipping cover and took hours to drain. I have to use shipping cover as no new 25' covers available yet. It seems I have to fold tower down to properly fit cover. So, I have 2 questions: 1) how do tower supports work to fold tower down?; and 2) what is proper placement of anti-pooling poles? I have a short one and a slightly longer one. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as I have to do it today, in the rain unfortunately! (BTW - Was just reading a post where someone was asking if it was okay to leave boat uncovered temporarily in a rainstorm. Well, mine has been at dock uncovered overnight and it started raining 5 am this morning and calling for it all day...oh well. I'll be much better prepared next season :rolleyes:)

On mine, the taller pole goes up front and the shorter in the back. I have the straps pretty snug to the cleats and the tower so that helps in keeping the cover up as the cover will rest on them.

On my model I have the tower folded down and the shipping tower brackets screwed in and used. It makes the tower a bit higher which lifts the cover up better plus puts all the weight on the bracket. ON your model I am not sure what your brackets look like.

Rain is not going to hurt your boat, but if it is mine and it had to go through a rain storm I would cover as soon as possible and make sure to wipe it all down and drain everything out of it. All though you mention Dock so I am not sure if you are pulling the boat.

You can see in the picture below the front pole under the shipping cover is extended up high and you make out the lines of the straps from the cleats to the pole and then from the tower to the pole. It makes a tent so everything rolls off. 20201025_092912.jpg

Okay. Came back to find major pooling over my shipping cover and took hours to drain. I have to use shipping cover as no new 25' covers available yet. It seems I have to fold tower down to properly fit cover. So, I have 2 questions: 1) how do tower supports work to fold tower down?; and 2) what is proper placement of anti-pooling poles? I have a short one and a slightly longer one. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as I have to do it today, in the rain unfortunately! (BTW - Was just reading a post where someone was asking if it was okay to leave boat uncovered temporarily in a rainstorm. Well, mine has been at dock uncovered overnight and it started raining 5 am this morning and calling for it all day...oh well. I'll be much better prepared next season :rolleyes:)
Hey Stan, let me help. 1. I do t know. 2. I don’t know. Here is an idea that may work. You don’t have to hold up much weight if you can get it to drain properly and it sounds like you will be putting it on and taking it off on the water? Drop the tower (see answer 1) and start making your support structure. Instead of the poles, could you use a cheap ratchet strap (I have used one inch by 25 foot 200 pound straps for canopy supports between tress) from the bow to the stern going over the downed tower to hold up the cover? May need some that go from port to starboard over the center strap. Just a thought?

On mine, the taller pole goes up front and the shorter in the back. I have the straps pretty snug to the cleats and the tower so that helps in keeping the cover up as the cover will rest on them.

On my model I have the tower folded down and the shipping tower brackets screwed in and used. It makes the tower a bit higher which lifts the cover up better plus puts all the weight on the bracket. ON your model I am not sure what your brackets look like.

Rain is not going to hurt your boat, but if it is mine and it had to go through a rain storm I would cover as soon as possible and make sure to wipe it all down and drain everything out of it. All though you mention Dock so I am not sure if you are pulling the boat.

You can see in the picture below the front pole under the shipping cover is extended up high and you make out the lines of the straps from the cleats to the pole and then from the tower to the pole. It makes a tent so everything rolls off. View attachment 136004
Awesome...thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for, picture helps a lot! Very similar shipping cover. My tower brackets are thin yellow metal (didn't closely look at them). When I get a break in the weather I will be taking it to the ramp to haul out. One last question: What is the placement of the shorter pole in back...center of cockpit or transom walk through?

Mine goes in center cockpit, actually a bit more back than center. of course you can adjust the straps, then a strap to the tower and then the other two straps to the far back cleats right and left side. Since you have the new model yours could be different. I would say to just experiment a bit. I extend the pole up high enough in the back and taught so that the straps are not resting heavy on my rear seats.

I use my shipping tower brackets. I know some don't or some don't get them from the dealer. I would always ask and get them. Also most dealers have a box of them lying around, so for those whom didn't get them I would bug the dealer to give you both. If feel I would rather have the tower secured by that all winter for me rather than having it just pulling on the hinge.

Get all those plugs pulled the minute you get it out of the water and let it drain and get some air in there and dry it out. Check, under the seats, if damp get them open and airing out.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
@HangOutdoors Thanks for the help and advice...greatly appreciated! Btw, my poles don't appear to be adjustable, just a short and a slightly longer one.

Hey Stan, let me help. 1. I do t know. 2. I don’t know. Here is an idea that may work. You don’t have to hold up much weight if you can get it to drain properly and it sounds like you will be putting it on and taking it off on the water? Drop the tower (see answer 1) and start making your support structure. Instead of the poles, could you use a cheap ratchet strap (I have used one inch by 25 foot 200 pound straps for canopy supports between tress) from the bow to the stern going over the downed tower to hold up the cover? May need some that go from port to starboard over the center strap. Just a thought?
Thanks Hillbilly, I think I can make it work with HangOutdoors' pictures. I'll just have to learn how to fold the tower and use the supports...luckily I did get them from Holly Acres:).

Hmmm. Mine twist and lock via friction. If yours don't, perhaps if you need to make it more taught, shim the bottom with something that is non marring. Maybe a rag and 1 by or 1/2 by or something like that. Just a small square block.

Back