• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New buyer, 08 speedster

nickyb21

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Hey guys, looking at picking up an 08 Speedster 150 - 155hp for the family, I offered the guy $6k and was wondering if its a good buy at that price?
150 hours, 1 owner. 2 small rips in the seats but everything is very clean for the age of the boat. New battery/oil and comes with trailer.

I got 2 small kids (3 and 6) so this would be a cheap way to get on the lake without having to rely on invitations.

Water does seep in to the engine bay also, couple inches over a day or two. Is this something to be concerned about? I know about the rivets and the carbon seal i could fix but i plan to leave the boat on a mooring while im up at the lake, using it daily untill i pull it out.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Did you check Nada Guides or Boat Trader? I'd start there.

don't have a feel for current values but I can tell you I paid about $14k for mine in 2009. It was bought new.

nickyb21

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Did you check Nada Guides or Boat Trader? I'd start there.

don't have a feel for current values but I can tell you I paid about $14k for mine in 2009. It was bought new.
i think i have a pretty decent deal, my main concern is the water seeping in.

Acard7

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When you say that water seeps in, 2in over a day or two… Is this the seller trying to be honest about it? If so I’d be willing to bet there’s probably more water seepage than that, unless you have seen it with your own eyes!

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
i think i have a pretty decent deal, my main concern is the water seeping in.
I've never noticed water seepage in mine. I'd try and figure out why. I'd ask the seller how he knows it's a couple of inches per day or so. I'm with @Acard7, if he's telling you this, it might well be more.

I'd take it for a sea trial and also lie underneath the boat and see if you can see any damage.

nickyb21

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
When you say that water seeps in, 2in over a day or two… Is this the seller trying to be honest about it? If so I’d be willing to bet there’s probably more water seepage than that, unless you have seen it with your own eyes!
Tbh, i do trust him. Hes not pressuring me to buy, and understands if i didnt want it. Hes also a friend of my brothers

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That changes things, but I'd still ask him how he knows to help you try and diagnose the problem. As long as there's an automatic bilge, it's probably not a huge deal.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey guys, looking at picking up an 08 Speedster 150 - 155hp for the family, I offered the guy $6k and was wondering if its a good buy at that price?
150 hours, 1 owner. 2 small rips in the seats but everything is very clean for the age of the boat. New battery/oil and comes with trailer.

I got 2 small kids (3 and 6) so this would be a cheap way to get on the lake without having to rely on invitations.

Water does seep in to the engine bay also, couple inches over a day or two. Is this something to be concerned about? I know about the rivets and the carbon seal i could fix but i plan to leave the boat on a mooring while im up at the lake, using it daily untill i pull it out.
I would focus attention to that area. Misaligned drive shaft and bad Carbon Seal to boot will cause water intrusion.
Definitely invest in good bilge. Sea doo carbon seal is a known source of failure.

nickyb21

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
I guess my big question is do i buy it knowing this. im 50/50 on it, as is most of my friends that have boats, feel the same way.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I guess my big question is do i buy it knowing this. im 50/50 on it, as is most of my friends that have boats, feel the same way.
Which is?

I would sea trail as a bad carbon seal will cause cavitation and water to come in.
If its moored in water they will leak.

jeffrt

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I used to have a 2006 Sportster with that engine. Always ran great, and had plenty of power for tubing. It was a fun little boat, but got tight once my kids got to be teenagers. Mine always took on a bit of water too, which I assumed was the carbon ring. Never did get around to changing it and told the next owner about it when I sold it.
I sold mine for around 10k Canadian a few years ago, so that price seems reasonable to me.