• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Engine Cost vs Extended Warranty??

jared24

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So my YES warranty is up at the end of this year so I've been looking at some aftermarket extended warranty's. Well I've been quoted anywhere between $1800 to $3000 for a 2 yr term. One company offers $690 for just engine protection for 2 years.

My question, has anyone replaced or have an idea of what a full engine replacement (single 1.8L engine) would cost? I know labor is going to add to the total but just a rough estimate? Trying to weigh the risk/rewards of buying a warranty, rolling the dice without one, or upgrading boats at this years boat show.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have heard prices anywhere from 7000 to 12000 for engine replacement after chain failure

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just extended my 15 FZS YES warranty till 2021 for 700 bucks it was a 3 year extention for the 1 year YES that came with the ski when i bought it.
My 16 AR240 came with a 3 year YES for free when i got it

jared24

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just extended my 15 FZS YES warranty till 2021 for 700 bucks it was a 3 year extention for the 1 year YES that came with the ski when i bought it.
My 16 AR240 came with a 3 year YES for free when i got it
Yea I got the 5 years of YES when I bought the boat but I don't believe Yamaha will add any past that...

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How much have you used your Yes warranty? If a lot I an aftermarket extended warranty may be worth it to you. If not I wouldn't bother. I would read the fine print as well if you are banking on an aftermarket warranty to cover you for engine replacement. There may be a lot of hoops you have to jump through that you were unaware of.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I would NEVER, EVER, EVER buy a 3rd party warranty. I have been burned by them either going out of business, OR, coming up with a multitude of fine print reasons that allow them to refuse, or only partially pay coverage. It is just an insurance policy, and a total waste of money in most cases! JMHO!