• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New jetboater’s First year - learning experience!

flybackwards

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
[GALLERY=m

2017 Scarab 255 Platinum

First of all a big thanks to ScarabMike for his instructions on boat handling. We were totally confused to start with - smacked the steel wall on the launch ramp when trying to back out. It seemed like whichever way I turned the wheel we hit something! Coming from 11 years with 37 foot keel boat I though I could steer just about anything. Your notes on steering the bow and not falling back on the car driving habits make so much sense after a few months practise. We can now stop the boat dead on the water, spin around and back into a slip. It takes a fair amount of practise but we now agree on the manouverability of these boats.

A few other things: The bilge would not drain - water always backs up into the ski locker. So for this winter’s clean up I put the hose in to flush out the drains and hoses this is what I got....a whole lot a builder junk blocking the drains and lines... I got about the same amount out of the bow drain area. Maybe someone at the plant needs to get a vacuum cleaner and use it!

It drains much better now.

General comments - build quality.

What you see is pretty well finished- what you don’t see on the surface is quite ordinary. Having spent some quality time crawling around pulling wires etc there are plenty of rough edges, all the plywood is lumber yard variety not marine, The engine hatch latch would never stay adjusted until I added the correct hardw,are - a large fender washer under the nylon lock but to stop it crushing the crappy plywood mounting block.

The water boxes in the exhaust system are plastic and look like they are falling out of the boat - not really attached to the boat except by the hoses. Anyone have any suggestions?

All in all we like the boat and it’s given us a whole new perspective on boating - but when you pay that much I expect the little stuff to be done better.