• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Member - MN - White Bear Lake/St. Croix

daveyjones

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hello everyone!

We're excited to be new jet boat owners (and members).

It has been a VERY long decision process - but we finally pulled the trigger on a 2019 212 Limited S (suede gray) and will be picking it up in a few weeks!
Wow, was it hard to choose a new boat with all of the many options out there. Heck, even when we settled on Yamaha - the difficult decisions were not over! Can't tell you how many hours I looked at the SX195 vs the 212 Limited vs the 212X.

We'll be out on White Bear Lake, Bald Eagle, and on the St. Croix (around Stillwater) when the ice melts. Be sure to say hello!

Previous boats owned:
2005 Glastron GXL 185 (loved it)
1997 SeaDoo Speedster (P.O.S.)
1979 Glastron Carlson GT150 with 110HP Merc (loved it)

I'll be looking for some information on weight distribution hitches (I'm new to those) in the forums.
Pulling with a 2005 Aviator that can pull 5000 lbs or 7700 lbs with a weight distribution hitch (770 max tongue weight). Dry boat/trailer weighs 4600 lbs - so i think the WD hitch will be worth the small investment.

-Daveyjones & wife

Last edited:

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We started at the AR210, wife didn't like the J seating... Told her, "so you not liking that is gonna cost me $10 large", she said "yep". Looked at the limited S and next to it was the 212X... Ugh... Fine. Anywho, welcome!

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome! We bought our boat in September and love it! I hope you enjoy your new Yamaha as much as we do!

Unfortunately, weight distribution hitches don’t work with boat trailers as they use surge brakes. The brakes won’t be able be able to actuate with a weight distribution setup on it. Looks like you’re still below your tow weight and since you have a higher rating with W/D hitch your gross combination weight is higher. Maybe you can load gear in your Aviator so you keep your trailer/boat under that 5,000 lbs.

WBeads

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Welcome! We keep our boat on WBL. We have the 210 FSH center console....can't miss us! Stop by and say hello if you see is on the water.

As always....ask any questions you have. This group will more than likely have the answers!!

daveyjones

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the warm welcomes and the great info on the WD hitch! I knew the trailer had surge brakes (and I've had them before with my Glastron) but it didn't click that having the WD hitch would prevent the trailer from compressing as needed to activate the brakes (the more you know!).

WBeads, I can't fish to save my life - so maybe I'll pull up and copy what you're doing. :)

PJ73, Please remove the photo of your beautiful 212x - it's making me second guess my choice. I mean it's "only" 5k more, right? Love that color combo as well.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
;) I appreciate the compliment. You could "only 5k more" yourself up to a million dollars or the poor house eventually. Don't second guess your decision, the limited S is a fantastic boat, I bounced between those two weeks. Love the suede gray but the wife wanted the blue to carry inside the cabin. Hence, the 212x in blue/white and I am fortunate enough to be in a position that the X was in my reach... barely.

daveyjones

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In the off-chance that somebody read this post that cares about weight distribution hitches ... a correction:

The Shorelander trailer manual does state that it is compatible with weight distribution hitches and it does not affect surge brakes when set up correctly. Attached is the relevant instruction from the manual. That said, the boat rode very nicely on the dual axle trailer (at least on its maiden 60 mile trip home) and I don't think I'll need it. Just wanted to clear this up if anyone else is wondering.

Attachments

Last edited:

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow, good info. We all learned something today. I would have never guessed you could do that with Surge brakes either. WDH is easy enough to install as well.

Welcome aboard to a fellow Minnesnowtan too!