• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Member saying Hi with Speed/ Rpm Question

MDK73

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My buddy bought a new, 2014, 242 Limited last year and I loved his boat. I have joked with him for a year that I wanted one. On Father's Day his wife sent me the add for a 2012 242 Limited S with 40 hours on it. I week later it was mine. I love my boat even more!

I do have a question though. My buddy's boat will do 52 at 7600rpm and mine does 47 at 7050/7100 right next to each other with relatively the same weight. (people, gas, etc.) He has the intake spacers and I don't, but that's really it. I would really appreciate some direction.

Attachments

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @MDK73 and congrats on the new boat. I'm not 100% sure if both of those boats have the same engines or not. But it sounds to me like yours isn't pulling the correct rpms. It could be something as simple as changing the spark plugs, or that you might have oil in your air cleaners, or possibly that one of the boats impellers have been repitched for running at higher elevation. But I'm sure guys with better knowledge of your specific model will chime in shortly.

By the way, where are you running at? What's the elevation?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard! I agree that changing the spark plugs is the first step. Make sure that the air filters do not have oil on them while you are in there. I would follow that up with making sure that the throttle cables are adjusted correctly.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board, make sure you check out the FAQ for lots of great ideas,

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your top speed and Rpm's are a bit low for the 1.8 motors and should be closer to what your buddy is getting. I agree with the others. The first thing to check/ replace are the spark plugs. Do not forget to use anti seize on plugs when replacing. If that does not fix it, look around for any loose sealant throughout the water propulsion tubes. Also look for dings or abnormal wear on the propellars. That said, new spark plugs is the likely cure. Now allow me to welcome you to the best forum and group of people you will ever meet on the internet. Hopefully your buddy is a member here also. If not, your obviously the smarter one.

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree with @Boat Crazy that the spark plugs are probably the culprit. These boats seem to be very sensitive to even slightly worn plugs.

I also want to welcome you aboard. This forum is filled with some of the nicest and knowledgeable people that you will ever come across. You made a great choice in joining us. Now, if your buddy isn't a member. He needs to be.

Also, be sure to add your location so we can add you to the map.

MDK73

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I will change the plugs and check the filters. Thank you for all the advice. My buddy, asclarch, is a member here and is the one that turned me on to this sight. He also told me that this is the best Yamaha jet boat site. :winkingthumbsup"

MDK73

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just got back from a week's vacation with the boat and family. Nobody stocks the plugs locally, so I didn't get a chance to change them. I did wax the boat before we left including the underside. I have not seen a strong yes or no answer on doing this in the forums, so I tried it. It really made no difference with speed or rpm. It is easier to clean though.
I do have question, when the boat is out of the water and the motor is running it sounds like a can rattling. I was told it is the impeller because it doesn't have water taking up the gap between the impeller and the sleeve, ok I understand. My question is I hear that when I am in the water at idle (1300-1350) even when I put it in forward. When I go to No Wake (1650) it is gone. Is this normal or do I possibly have to much gap?