• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Owner Needs Advice!

Frank Mahoney

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I bought the 2014 Yamaha 192. Been out on it 4 times and am having a blast! It's my first boat so obviously I'm still learning the ropes and I could use some help.

1. The fenders that came with the boat seem pretty ineffective at protecting the boat at a dock. I've included a picture I pulled from Amazon to show what I mean. Any advice or recommendations on the kind of fender I should be looking for?

2. On towing inflatables: should I be towing the tube attached to the wake tower or the transom? And I got a 50' line and it seems like my riders are getting too much wake in the face, should I go longer?

3. I pulled a bonehead move and ran over the tow line while maneuvering and boy that was not pretty getting the rope out. Don't want to repeat that. Is there some kind of float that I should get to help prevent a repeat?

Thanks in advance for your help!

image.jpg

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
1. The fenders that came with the boat seem pretty ineffective at protecting the boat at a dock. I've included a picture I pulled from Amazon to show what I mean. Any advice or recommendations on the kind of fender I should be looking for?

I have those similar fenders, they are just longer. You just need to lower the fender or attach it to a part of the boat that will have it protected better. Another option is to place the fender on the dock. Not sure about a 192 since the mooring points and cleats on your boat are different than mine (but most docks have their cleats spaced similarly)... my 4" wide fenders work great, I just have them on looped bungee line (http://www.westmarine.com/buy/greenfield-products--stretch-n-slide-dock-line--10322998) with a cheap carabiner. One part of it connects to the fender, then I just snap the most sensible loop of the bungee line into the carabiner. You can do it cheaper just with dock/mooring line and tie off loops in the line...​

2. On towing inflatables: should I be towing the tube attached to the wake tower or the transom? And I got a 50' line and it seems like my riders are getting too much wake in the face, should I go longer?

Longer, much much longer. 60-70' for tubes if you're going off the tower.​

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
3. If you pull that bonehead move again, pull the spark plugs and unwind the rope.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Those fenders are garbage. Go to West Marine and pick up something a little bigger. I use smaller ones to pull up to docks, and when I raft up with other friends boats, which I do a lot, I use some BIG fenders.

Tow from the transom, not the tower.

Use a longer rope. I use a 75'er with our tubes. But with a longer rope, you're gonna have to work a little more to get the whips.

As for running over the line. You can usually keep an eye on the handle and maneuver it back to your rider. With wider turns and a little practice, you should be able to get it back to them pretty easily. Or have a dedicated rope watcher - who will pull the rope in and throw it back out to the rider. With the shorter surf ropes - rope gets pulled in as soon as it's dropped or the rider falls.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Definitely have someone with an Eagle eye on that rope anytime its in the water. Also, I may be a little biased, but I think you have an absolutely gorgeous boat!

Jayr212x

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Don't feel too bad. I sucked up a tow rope on my first outing. Now I always have a spotter watching out for the rope.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes Welcome Aboard. I hope you knew I was joking about the bone head part. Most of us suck up a rope at some point.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome @Frank Mahoney Glad to have you join our group.

My boat came with a few of those fenders and IMHO they're not that great. The ones that I use are Taylor Made and I think theyre 6" around. But a lot of guys go with bigger fenders, especially if you're doing tie-ups with other boats. Where I boat, the slips are usually 9' wide, so the 6" fenders is all that I can squeeze in there anyway.

As far as towing from the tower. Yamaha frowns on that, but honestly it depends on the year and model as far as whether or not the tower will support it. Not knowing your tower at all, I'll hold off on a recommendation there. I will however say that towing wakeboarders from the tower definitely prevents sucking up ropes. That being said, I backed up on one during our last trip, thankfully it only wrapped around the pump shaft 2-3 times. Only took 2 minutes to pull out.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welcome aboard! Seems like everyone has given you the same advice that I would.

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome Frank!
1. minimum 6 inch round fender
2. I recommend from ski point with a 60'-70' rope
3. Now that you are aware you will be more conscience of your maneuvers, a good rope tender is the best solution.

And congratulations on the new toy.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I get MOST of my stuff from www.Overtons.com , unless something specific I want to match my Yammy.

I use these for my fenders bumbers you can get the color to match...sometimes they are marked down to $49 http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Dockmate-Fender-Package&i=80070

I sucked in a rope ONE TIME, my FIRST TIME in 07. It never happened again. I went to this rope in 07 and I think this type has helped. Only skiers, kneeboarders and wakeboards to tower....all inflatables to the hook on the transom. the end you hook to the transom is considerably larger and floats well. http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Airhead-Bungee-Tube-Tow-Rope&i=10369

Last edited:

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Anybody have a link to a good 70-75' rope? All I seem to find online is 60' and that puts riders face first into the spray.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just picked up a set of four of these: http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Dockmate-Fender-Package-5-5-x-20-4-Pack&i=773171they were on sale for $39.99 at the time, $49.99 is still a pretty good price.

Anybody have a link to a good 70-75' rope? All I seem to find online is 60' and that puts riders face first into the spray.
For wakeboarding: http://www.bulletlines.com/wakeboard-Rope-s/12.htm
For tubes, you can always marry two lines together and adjust the length at the boat end: http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Overtons-Heavy-Duty-2-Person-Tube-Tow-Rope&i=14542

If you have issues with the line going under and causing tremendous spray, try one of these : http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=SportsStuff-Booster-Ball&i=14181