• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New owner. Pulling out procedures?

Ibeflyinhigh

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello new ar190 owner here. I'm wondering procedures for leaving the lake? I know with jetskis you are suppose to start them and give throttle for 10-15 seconds to blow some of the water out of the engine and exhaust. Is that the same with Yamaha jetboat? Anything else i should do? I plan on boating year round but it does get below freezing in the winter here.
Thanks for the info and help!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where is "here" ??

I believe the latest thought is not to rev the engines high while out of the water, just let them idle for 5-10 to get the water out,

if you plan to use it all year then that's all, enjoy the benefits of a jet boat!

Ibeflyinhigh

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where is "here" ??

I believe the latest thought is not to rev the engines high while out of the water, just let them idle for 5-10 to get the water out,

if you plan to use it all year then that's all, enjoy the benefits of a jet boat!

Arizona! Thanks for the info!

Bdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I think you’re on the right track however if I know I’m jumping in the lake the following weekend I don’t worry about starting or blowing anything out. Obvious stuff though remove the plugs especially the clean out plug sometimes water gets trapped in there in fact most times it does.

Floridaman79

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I flush my engines at the house and then rev it a few times after turning the water off to blow the water out. There's a sticker on mine by the drain plug that says what to do but I can't remember the verbiage offhand.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
*** @Ibeflyinhigh, just to clarify, that would be 5 or 10 seconds BTW, not minutes.
Big fan of flushing with a hose every time BTW. Not just in salt water (but essential there IMO). Gets any crap out for sure.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Hello new ar190 owner here. I'm wondering procedures for leaving the lake? I know with jetskis you are suppose to start them and give throttle for 10-15 seconds to blow some of the water out of the engine and exhaust. Is that the same with Yamaha jetboat? Anything else i should do? I plan on boating year round but it does get below freezing in the winter here.
Thanks for the info and help!
:Welcome:
New 212s owner here this summer and we expect to winterize soon too. I plan to use compressed air to blow out the cooling water lines, then rev it a couple times to 3500rpm per the manual for 10-15 seconds to blow out the exhaust water, and pull the cleanouts and lube, pull all drain plugs and lube, batteries on charger/maintainer, damp rid bucket under the cover, etc.. That's about it really...not much different from parking other boats with I/O units except for pulling engine plugs, gear lube change, etc.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Congrats on your new AR190

A lot of great info here, even winterization.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Check with your local laws, as they may supersede or actually enforce the habits we have used as jetboaters for years.

For example, our local laws require us to fire up the engines on jet boats. Of course the other routine things too. Pull the cleanout plugs, drain plugs and walk around looking for weeds on the trailer and the jet pump grates are required. Anything that can hold water, pumps and ballast bags are drained completely.

In some CA state park landings, they will inspect your hull/bilge. If you have a drop of water, they will have you sponge/towel it out to avoid invasive species.

So long story short, just get in the habit of pulling all plugs and running your engines when pulling out. And pulling the plugs on the landing while the boat is at a sharp angle is the best way to get most of it out. If we hit the road with drain plugs in, we will be ticketed.

Good luck!

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
*** @Ibeflyinhigh, just to clarify, that would be 5 or 10 seconds BTW, not minutes.
Big fan of flushing with a hose every time BTW. Not just in salt water (but essential there IMO). Gets any crap out for sure.
I have had my PWC since 2003, I do the same, flush at home after every use. Don't plan on changing anything when the boat arrives.